Mapex Saturn Coming Soon, Advice Please

abbo69nz

Hi there,
I Have finally Purchased an acoustic set to go with my electronic kit,
Ive Purchased a New Mapex Saturn Kit, Had A play in my local music shop and man these bad boys sound nice,
My question Is, does anyone recommend upgrading/Changing the stock heads? I should point out, I've only ever used a elec Kit, So heads are completely new to me,
I play mainly old rock,maybe the odd metallica song or black sabbath would be bot as heavy as it gets, Nothing jazzy or nothing death metal, So im hoping to get the best out of these drums
Was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions? coated/clear 1ply 2ply etc etc
I understand they come with these stock

Remo® Emperor batter heads on all toms, Remo® Ambassador heads on snare and Remo® Powerstroke 3 on bass drums
Thanks guys

If you're gonna be playing live or recording right away, then yeah, change the heads. If you're just banging around in your room, tune up the stock heads and go to town on them.

I play Mapex Pro-M's and use Evans EC2 clear batter/G1 resos on the toms. I think they sound phenomonal. I've tried lots of heads on the kick and right now I'm using an EMAD2 batter/EQ3 reso. The EMAD sounds good, but that dampening ring is a piece of shit. I'm about to go back to Aquarian Superkick because they've never failed me before. I've tried lots of snare heads too. The stock snare that came with the kit ended up with a Remo Powerstroke3 batter/Ambassador Hazy reso and Puresound 30 snare wires. This snare is 6.5" deep, and putting the 30-strand wires on it really brought it to life. I'd highly recommend getting a wider snare set like the Puresound 30 for those deeper snares if yours comes with one.

Back