Mapex drums?

undrgrnd studio

Well here's the deal. I have an old set of CP drums, yes CP not CB. That's what my friends says anyhow. He says they are an old brand called CP, and not the newer CB brand. I don't know, there are no longe rany markings on it.

My friend took a bunch of crappy old drum sets he collected and then stripped them and refinished them years ago. I bought one off him for a measly $100 about 10 years ago.

But anyway, they do the job for crap drums. Or at least they did, the hardware on the drums has been falling apart over the past couple of years. Things like clamps and posts have snapped.

So now I need a new drum set, and I simply don;t have the cash for what I want. I want a Gretsch Catalina Birch set. I simply cannot afford it, and to be honest I am not really a drummer anyhow. I play drums when I need to in my studio and I swap between drums and guitar in a punk band with another guy, while the third guy just plays bass.

I know Mapex doesn't have a stellar reputation around here, but for my needs this set is Birch, looks to have decent mounting hardware, and is only $399 right now. Do you think this set will serve me well? What's your opinion?

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...ian-Birch-Standard-Drum-Shell-Pack?sku=712986

Buy them.

I have Mapex Pro-M's, and I'll put them up against anyone's pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar.

I have a set of Pro M shallow shells that kick butt!
I use it for my live kit and have had nothing but compliments from folks particularly the sound guys.
Mine is transparent Black also.
I have a small Mapex Venus kit (18 inch kick,small toms) I use for coffe houses.
It also sounds great.
On the other side of the coin I have a custom Ayotte kit for the studio and it is wonderful. Is it $4000 better?........probably not sound wise.

A friend of mine bought a Mapex set for $50 with a Pearl double kick thrown in!!! The guy that had them was REALLY rough on it. The kick drum had 3 broken keys, the snare lever was broken, 2 of the keys on the top tom were snapped, the heads were shot, they were way stretched out and over tightened, that was probably what caused the keys to snap, but the finish was in nice shape and once polished up they looked great. A Maroon set. Anyway he put about $100 bucks into repairing it and now it's a great set, he's got Remo ambassadors for heads and replaced the keys for about $20.00. It sounds pretty good in my opinion.

I own a Mapex Pro-M which sounds very good and is well made. I also have a Mapex Venus kit which sounds surprisingly good (and surprisingly large) for a very low cost kit.

Over the years I've owned about a dozen kits - Mapex (3), Ludwig, Slingerland (2), Pearl (2),Tama, Premier, Fibes & Ayotte (I loved that Ayotte kit and which I still had it) - and I think Mapex can hold there own againt most kits - at a reasonable price.

I had a Mars Pro, the precursor to the Pro M series. That thing survived a flood and 2 East Coast tours with a hardcore band and still sounded great. Didn't look so hot, but it still sounded great :)

Recently recorded a Pro M kit and thought the toms sounded fantastic.

Back