Manual vs Preset EQ

sketterman

For those of you who use Sonar 8 Producer (and presumably any editing software) do you prefer to use graphic/parametric EQ's to dial in your settings or do you use preset EQ's when working with acoustic drums?

In Producer 8 there is a preset EQ plugin, cant remember the exact name but it has the word linear in the title, and that plugin has a preset EQ for a snare and kick drum, which I find sound really good for my application. There are a few others, one being "subtle analog warmth" which I sometimes use for overheads because it cuts out the harshness.

I'm just wondering your opinions if its better to simply go with a preset EQ like that or go the manual path, or even both.

Simplest answer:

If it sounds good for what you want it to do, then it's right :)

I combine both methods as well depending on the project... I also use a Roland VS2480 and I have the Massenburg Parametric EQ Plug-in that I will sometimes pipe a track through on occasion...

Use the tools you have in your toolbox

:)

My fav preset is the flat one.

:)
There's a decent case for having pre-configured eq in some cases- let's say for kick' #1 high pass, 2 low Bell, 3 low mid Bell, 4 high mid Bell, and maybe save you a few clicks. In the end you'll need to get in tune with the sound of the different frequency bands, equate that with the specific need at hand and still dial it. Who's to say a given recorded kick needs X set of curves (let alone the same for snare'?
(maybe that was just a miss print)

Back