manual guitar panning with pedal

Brian Ferrell

Does anyone know of an effects expression pedal that will allow you to manually pan left to right and right to left by moving the pedal up and down? For example, pressing down on the pedal would move the sound left in the stereo spectrum and moving it upwards would move the sound to the right. My Digitech RP1000 has a panning effect on it but as far as I know it is only automatic and only allows adjusting the speed of the pan by moving the expression pedal.

Does anyone know of an effects expression pedal that will allow you to manually pan left to right and right to left by moving the pedal up and down? For example, pressing down on the pedal would move the sound left in the stereo spectrum and moving it upwards would move the sound to the right. My Digitech RP1000 has a panning effect on it but as far as I know it is only automatic and only allows adjusting the speed of the pan by moving the expression pedal.

You might be able to modify a Morely stereo volume pedal to do that. The pedal operation is extremely simple; it just puts photoresistors in series with the input signals. The pedal operates a flap between a light bulb and the photoresistors so that when the pedal is rocked back the resistors are in the dark and not conducting. Rocking the pedal forward moves the flap and lets light hit the resistors so that they conduct and feed signal to the outputs.

If you moved the B channel signal output upstream of the resistor for that channel and grounded the other end of the resistor, it would essentially reverse the function of the resistor so that the pedal would work opposite for that channel. Rocking the pedal forward would turn the A channel up and the B channel down, and rocking it back would do the opposite.

You'd have to split your signal upstream of the modified pedal with something that would separately buffer the splits (like a stereo chorus or a buffered A/B/Y box) so that the reversed channel wouldn't ground out both sides of your signal.

DISCLAIMER: I have never done this but it seems to me that it would work.

No, but if you find one, let me know... sounds like a cool effect.

I've got a Digitech device too and it strikes me that it should be possible but I don't know how...

It's also gratifying to see someone who's been here are long as I have and has posted less - I don't feel such a slacker now...

That can easily be done with an effects processor such as the Digitech 2120 and a midi real time controller.

Yes, there's several ways to do that, but I only know Macs...

The easiest I know of is if you use a Mac and have an effects unit (many of the Yamaha units will) that will accept MIDI Control Change #010, which is panning. Then use one of these:
http://images.google.com/imgres?img.../images?q=yamaha+fc+pedal&hl=en&safe=off&um=1
and plug it into your computer and either through some program you have or the freebie MidiPipe change the Control #007 into Control #010 and send that to your effects unit.

Sounds complicated I know.

I used a Doepfer card and made a knee operated pitch bender and most of what I did could be made into what you're asking for:
http://musicmusicmusic.cn/wheelelectronicp.html

Also, a DMP11 mixer (kinda big!) can be programmed to do that with the above MIDI pedal. I have 2 for sale but they are very big if you're thinking for gigs.

Sorry I don't have an easy $19.99 Guitar Center solution.

Hmmm..... it looks like Dintymoore's solution is the most feasible for my current equipment list but as he says, it would get pretty complicated. I would have to add my Boss GT-3 processor pedal along with my ART SGE Mach II to my current rig- the Digitech RP1000. The GT-3 would have to run through the Stomp Loop of the RP1000 and the expression pedal on the GT-3 would have to be set to control the #010 Pan MIDI effect on the SGE Mach II. That's really a lot more rig than I would like to have to set up on stage (one reason I got the RP1000 was to eliminate 2 other pedals), but at least I know I could probably do it if I really wanted to. The Morley modification sounds closer to the simpler setup that I am aiming for. Thanks guys, for all your input.

Back