Manual For FD-4i Fostex

bbbmusic

Does anyone know if there is a site to download an FD-4i manual. I purchased the last one on the shelf and they couldn't find the manual. They will try to get me one from Fostex but, in the interim, it would be nice to figure this thing out properly. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bruce

Hey man,

Since you are new and are a fellow cheesehead i would be willing to send you some copied pages of my FD-8 Quick Start Manual. I'm assuming that most of the stuff should be the same. Its not the full manual but it will get you going till you get one. I could ever fax them to you if you like. Let me know

Where is Saulkville? I'm up near Wausau.

Joe

Okay, so now the Fostex forum is the "Cheesehead Room?" Too much. I, too, am living in Wisconsin so I might be able to help. Also, I own a FD-4 so if you have MSWord 97 I could possibly e-mail a "quick start" section to you. I haven't had a chance to record with it yet--I bought the external drive version and I am still waiting for the storage drive to get here (President's Day--shoot, no mail). I'd be happy to help where possible. Also, e-mail Fostex, website is www.fostex.com
Their customer service is pretty good--I bet they will get you your manual faster than the music store. they don't have manuals on their site (that I have found) but they might be able to e-mail you .pdf version (Adobe).

Peace, Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Marquard (edited 02-21-2000).]

Thanks Jim.....Bob Sordahl got me started by e-mailing me some pages to get started. So, I appreciate the help.
I got one with an internal drive and will try it out shortly.
LONG LOVE THE CHEESEHEADS.
Thanks
Bruce

Joe,

Thanks for the offer. Bob Sordahl from this forum e-mailed me some pages to get me started.
I used to live up in Wausau and Birnamwood. Went to my last year of high school at Wittenburg/Birnamwood. Damn, what a year.
Saukville is about 2 miles west of Port Washington (on the lake) and about 27 miles north of Milwaukee.
So, did you use anything prior to getting your Fostex?I have a Yamaha cassette 4 track which worked well but, wanted to try something new.
Later
Thanks
Bruce

Jeez Jim,
Are they building your external drive from scratch? What did you buy. I got a 100MB SCSI zip from a friend for $50. In Master mode you run out of recording time in nothing flat. You get about 1 short song without a lot of overdubs per floppy. I'm now recording in Normal mode which will give me plenty of room for probably 2 songs per floppy. I don't think the sound quality will suffer too much. I imagine that the worst digital is still much better than the best analog! Let me know how it goes. And what's wrong with cheese anyway?

Hey BBB,

I actually live in Athens, which is about 25 straight west of Wausau. I did play in a bar in Birnamwood once back in like 1989, cant remember the name.

This is the first unit i have had. My band broke up in 1990 and since then i have been out of the music thing till i bought a guitar last year. So this is been really fun for me, recording and playing again.

Keep your stick on the ice

Hi Bob,

No, they are not making my SCSI drive from scratch, just had to decide what SCSI device to buy or to drop a hard drive in this beastie. I finally decided on the Orb drive which is a removable media/cartidge, kind of like a Jaz, but 2.2 gb and much faster. Unfortunately, almost nobody carries the Orb drive, had to get it off the internet. Not a bad price at $229 and the cartridges are $30-40 at 2.2 gb compared to Zips 100-250 mb. It should be here by the end of the week. I'm going nuts looking at this recorder and not being able to use it. Being in a small town hasn't helped. SCSI equipment doesn't exist within 60 miles. If it works, though, I'll pass the information along this forum. Just in case you or anyone else reading wants to know, Fostex will drop a 4.3 gb (minimum, if not larger) IDE hard drive in the FD-4 for $250 INCLUDING labor. That was tempting, but I wanted to be able to swap drives quickly.

Peace, Jim

Wow, Jim $250 sounds like a pretty good deal for 4+ gigs internal. I was just too cheap so I opted for a used zip. I think I can get disks for about 10 to 15 each, and if I master down and finalize to a CD, I can use them over. Here in Seattle, the Orbs are on the shelf at CompUSA, in the Apple area. Still more than I could afford...I really pushed my luck with my wife buying the FD-4 in the first place!

Bruce,

I'm not all familiar with Chet & Emils or with Birnamwood. Basically, I checked with Fond du Lac and Beaver Dam--everything was special order and I knew if I searched the internet I could get better deals. Otherwise I figured I'd have to go to Milwaukee or Madison. I guess somebody in West Bend or Columbus might have SCSI. I called CompUSA in Madison and had my long-distance call transfered to a 800 number. Torque me off. So I hung up and called the 800 number and was told that I would have to special order even the Orb--What B.S. So if Bob in Washington (Seattle?) can get them off the shelf, he is pretty lucky. Bruce, if you know of a good place that does SCSI equipment, let me know.

Peace, Jim

I think he ment "Jimmy". I really dont remeber the name of the bar but it was outside of town on a county highway, maybe the north/east side. Pretty big place. "buckhorn?" maybe. Anyway all I remember was that our new lead singer lost his voice during the last set and i had to sing the rest of the songs and let me tell you it wasnt pretty. They still paid us.

Jim--Jimmy? What the h? Ah yes, now I see it. About three posts above. Oh well, Everyone must play the fool once in awhile. Someone elses turn now.

Peace, Jim

Bob

No, never did that one, but we used to end our shows by singing "Happy Trails" Van Halen style. That was alot of fun, something different. But we once played at a bowling alley in Stevens Point and we were the first rock band to ever play there. I wish they would have told us this before hand. All these rednecks in cowboy hats werent really ready to listen to Kiss,Van Halen, Ozzy, and all the other hair band stuff we used to play. They were used to hearing both kinds of music, "Country & Western".

Back