Manning1 or anyone who can help....

wallsstreet

Hello peeps!

The reason I said or mentioned Manning1 is because he posted a reply to one of my messages, but who ever can help, please fell free to help me.

Situation, I mentioned in one of my post that after about 10 tracks with effects, my PC starts to slow down and then I start to get error messages. Manning1 told me to check some of his posts about how to get the most out of my computer, but he has posted so many times, I can't find it.

I need to know how to get more than just 10 tracks with out it slowing down (cause I still hav not put vocals on the session, so I need a lot more than 10 tracks), i use Protools Le 6.1 on a Dell 2.4 Gig, 512 Mgs, (2) 7200 rpm hard drives.

On protools, and this is crazy, I record at the at the level 8 and also at 1028 (I forgot what that is, i think it's like samples)

I tried everything, now I need some serious help.

thanks

wallst. a tip. could you please (as well as checking dma enabled)
download diskbench from prorec.com. run it on the drives, and post the statistics on your drives.
also could you look in windows/temp folder and if you see a bunch of *.tmp files. there might be something hidden in there. its a good idea to clean these from your system. if windows shows a message on a particular file
as a warning, dont delete it. also use windows search to find *.tmp files.
ive seen isolated cases where they can bog one down.
if this is a used system you bought be aware previous owners might have left junk on it that could realise performance impacts.
just a start.

Thanks for the feedback!

My system in not hooked up to the internet, and it is actually a new computer (i ordered it from DELL direct!) also, I checked the DMA on both drives and it says DMA if available.

I will check for those files Manning1 to see if that the cause. It's just really frustrating when I go to play something back in front of someone, and it cuts out says I'm running to many plugs.......

First off, do everything it tells you in your "Getting Started with Mbox or Digi 00x" guide. There should be a section called "Optimizing Windows" or something.

Then, visit www.musicxp.net. Try the tweaks in there.

Finally, (You may want to sit down for this), find out if you are running hyperthreading on your processor. If you are, Protools will never run smoothly. Digidesign specifically states that Protools is not compatible with hyperthreading. Some computers can disable hyperthreading in the BIOS, but others can't. Talk to Dell to see what you can do.

Sorry if I just wrecked Christmas

Back