Mandolin Players

juststartingout

Does anyone out there play a mandolin? Can you suggest any songs? The only one I can recall is a Led Zep song "Battle of Evermore". Any sites or info on a mandolin would be helpful. I have a chord chart and the Zep tab.

Mainly, I will be using it for filling in some of my songs, but I am interested in whatever is out there.

This is an excellent site:

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page675.htm

At first it looks as if it's just another web instrument dealer, but if you look you'll see all kinds of tips, tricks, lessons etc.

Good luck! I too recently obtained a mandolin, which I play at church, usually just simple lead lines to accompany a song where others are playing acoustic guitar.

check out REM--there's a LOT of mandolin in their stuff--especially the early 90's stuff.

there's a lot of mandolin in a lot of rock, you just have to listen for it.

i got a mandolin about a year ago and found it to be MUCH easier to learn than guitar was for me. don't ask me why--it just came naturally. i have a LOT of fun playing it.

cheers,
wade

Yeah the tuning makes more sense. I've got a couple of mandolins and a mandocello.

Best thing is to learn some chord shapes, a few scales and just play anything on it......that will get you to thinking 'mandolin thoughts' and soon the transition will be automatic.

For inspiration you might want to check out David Grissman's 'Dawg' styles, or Andy Stateman, or Chris Thelie.

philboyd studge said:
For inspiration you might want to check out David Grissman's 'Dawg' styles, or Andy Stateman, or Chris Thelie.
Well.......depending on the mood I'm in, Chris Thile might go under the heading of 'disgust' rather than 'inspiration'. That guy is too darn talented for his own good...

sile2001 said:
Well.......depending on the mood I'm in, Chris Thile might go under the heading of 'disgust' rather than 'inspiration'. That guy is too darn talented for his own good...

Known him since he was a infant and was there when he first became facinated by the mandolin at age 5 at a friend's home studio. I've never seen anything like it. You should hear him play guitar....that's pretty discusting too.

Any David Grisman album, jazz on a mandolin. Any Bonnie Raitt album, usually lots of mandolin there.

Back