Managing Garageband and Reason (Redrum)

obcbeatle

Hello:

Reason newbie here. I've been Googling and reading tutorials but can't seem to find an answer to my question so I thought I try here. I've been creating Reason programmed drum loops and exporting to Garageband with no problems. However ... I would like to be able to create a drum loop on the fly using my midi controller (in Redrum) while playing a track in Garageband and have the Redrum loop recorded in Garageband while I'm playing/creating the drum loop. I thought this was possible via Rewire ... but I haven't figured out how. Or maybe it just can't be done? I've tried playing along with the GB track and recording my midi controller drum loop in Reason ... and then exporting to GB ... but it is difficult to get the drum loop into the GB timeline w/o it sounding a bit off-beat. Here is my usual procedure for recording a song:

1) Create an acoustic guitar real instrument track in GB (I'm a guitarist) using the click and metronome to keep time.
2) Create a programmed Redrum drum loop and export to GB.
3) Create a bass real instrument track in GB.
4) Create vocal(s) real instrument track(s) in GB.
5) Create all other instrument tracks in GB.

Maybe I should just always create the drum loop(s) and bass track first ... to keep things tight ... but as a guitarist I usually like to have the entire rhythm guitar track (acoustic guitar) recorded first since my goal is to create the drum, bass, vocal and all other tracks based on what my ear hears in the rhythm guitar track (all my songs are written entirely on the acoustic guitar). My problem is that some of my recordings don't sound as tight as I would like. Any pointers/comments/suggestions welcome ... particularly on how to effectively get midi controller created loops from Reason accurately into the GB timeline. I'm using Reason 4 and GB 08. Thanks!

Back