Management/Representation????

jdavis

Hey guys...

Ok, the other night, my band and I were playing at a small place downtown in my city. After we had done a set, a guy approached me, saying that he liked what he had heard, and that he was interested in talking with us about management and representation. Ok, so, my question is, what should I ask this guy, or what should I look for in him, as a manager? He told me today on the phone that he was interested in getting our music to more people, and getting it to people that could take it further. He also said that if he couldn't give us what we wanted and needed, that he would make sure he got us to the people who could. So, I thought that sounded pretty good. Has anyone had any experiance in things like this? This is the first time i've ever had to deal with this(seeing as i'm only 21), and i'd like some opinions on what red flags to look for, etc...Thanks for any info or help you guys may have!!!

***Justin***

Questions you should ask him:
1. Is he a pro? Or does he just want to dabble in show business?
2. If he's a pro, who else does he handle? Get names and numbers and check him out. Does he book weddings or music clubs? How long has he been booking acts?
3. What's his end? (percentage of the take)
4. Where, specifically, does he think he can book you?(who does he know)
If he wants you to sign a contract, ask him for a copy so you can have your lawyer look it over. If he balks at that, tell him to stick it. If he gives you a contract, take it to a music business lawyer and have it reviewed. Keep the initial term short- 6 months. If he hasn't come through in that time, void the contract.
I have had five booking managers over the years, and most of them were worthless. And they were all professionals! This guy sounds a little greasy to me- check him out with other players in your town before getting involved.
Good luck!

Bob

I agree with Buffalo Bob, if this guy is legit, he should be able to name other groups he has managed. These groups may be able to give you info (but keep in mind that a group my take offense to learn their "manager" wants to devote attention to another band - and in turn may not be cooperative with you). Often being a "manager" can mean different things to different people.

Most large cities have "booking agencies" that can get gigs for bands for a 15-20% commission (some want "exclusive rights to the band, some will book on a gig to gig basis). These "booking agents" often have access to the festivals, bigger clubs, country clubs and weddings that bands can't get into - these can often be $1,000-$2,000 gigs vs. $300 in a local bar.

A manager can act as a booking agent, but "normally" a manager works with agents, promoters and the oher "business people" to "represent" the band (since traditionally, musicians have proven to be very poor business people). Small time "managers may not have the clout to book bigger venues without the help of an agent or promoter. Managers also can coordinate issues with attorneys, accountants, etc. etc.

I'm not a fan of "managers" - I don't think anyone should place there "career" in the hands of a manager. There have been many, many stories about rock stars and sports stars that lost $$$$$ because their "managers" had ripped them off or made bad business investments.

Learn the business side to protect your interests. However, I do think booking agents and/or promoters are a necessary evil to get into certain high profile venues.

Back