Man Sonar Issues

lank81

HI Everyone,
I ditched my Mac + GB and went to PC and Sonar 7 Producer Edition so I could be on the same system as a friend I record with. I've got a rip roarin PC now with Vista 32 bit but I can't seem to get either my Tubefire or Sonar to play nice. I can record and play back but everything comes back very crackly and sometimes a little jittery. Has anyone had issues with this before? I've updated the latest drivers for ART but still nothing. My firewire chipset is Texas Instruments and I had windows check for the latest driver and it says it has the latest. I've done WDM, ASIO, MME, no difference. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lank

Settings

JMorris,
I have the Sampling Rate @ 44.1, the Audio Driver Depth at 24-bit, and my Mixing Latency at 11.0 ms. I also have the buffers set to 512. Also check marked in the advanced section is Remove DC Offset During Record, Use Multiprocessing, and Use MMCSS. If you need any other settings please let me know. Right now I have the Drivers set to ASIO but have tried WDM and MME already as well.

Thanks,
Lank

Do your sample rate/buffer settings in the Tubefire control panel match your Sonar settings?

Also, make sure the clock source is set to 'Internal' (unless you have a wordclock source).

Are you running 7.02?
The .01 and .02 upgrades did address some performance issues.

Tubefire Settings

The Tubefire rates control the rates of Sonar when using the ASIO Drivers so they are setup exactly the same (11ms). I do have it set to Internal and I have the .01 maintenance release. I can go up to .02 but I'm not sure if that will fix it or not. Other than the maintenance release, anymore suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

Guys,
It seems like its either an issue with my unit or the drivers. I tried recording with Audacity and Adobe Audition. Both gave me the same Crackle / jitter. Thanks.

Matt

Crackling will normally be associated to Latency, Clock/Synch issues or Sample Rate mismatch.

If you have verified that the Tubefire is the clock source and Sonar/Audacity/Audition all recognize it as such, as well as insuring all control panels (Tubefire and DAW software) are all set to the same Sample/Bit rate settings, it would have to be some sort of driver issue... This based on the assumption that the Tubefire doesn't crackle when connected the the Mac...?

Hey man, I've got the same issue in Sonar 8 PE (only mine skips like a bastard rather than crackling) and I've done everything I possibly can to fix it and my computer sounds nearly identical to yours. I'm beyond even trying to think what it could possibly be at this point. Join the club, I guess. :(

Maybe it's Sonar....I own Sonar 6 and it's solid as a rock. Sonar 7 is said to be unstable on some systems....drop outs and what not....and as for S8...well we all know about that.

Anyway....it's actually really probably what the other guy said before....somehitng to do with your settings...particualrly sample rate and latency and all that. You're at 11 latency? My maching is 4 years old and I have mine at a very comfortable 6

Maybe it's Sonar....I own Sonar 6 and it's solid as a rock. Sonar 7 is said to be unstable on some systems....drop outs and what not....and as for S8...well we all know about that.

Anyway....it's actually really probably what the other guy said before....somehitng to do with your settings...particualrly sample rate and latency and all that. You're at 11 latency? My maching is 4 years old and I have mine at a very comfortable 6

I've spanned from 3ms to 11ms. The last time I tried I was at 11ms. I got an email from ART today that said most crackle issues is due to hardware limitations.

I would think a system with a
AMD Phenom Triple Core Procesor
4 gigs DDR2
500 gig SATA w/ 32 mb of cache

wouldn't have such hardware limitations. I've stopped quite a few services, disabled drivers and what not and tonight I'll try to kill as many processes that are unnecessary as possible.

So basically I have the cache for read / write in sonar @ 512. I have the Bit Rate at 24, Sample Rate 44.1, and latency right now 5ms. I've tried WDM, MME, and ASIO, and each give me an issue. Not sure what to do.

Matt

Vista Issues w/ Triple Core

Hi Guys,
Think I've figured out the problem but I haven't found a solution. I don't think my 32 Bit Vista Business is cooperating with my Triple Core Processor. I downloaded a hot fix for Windows for Triple core Processors and I've tweaked Vista greatly but I have one core (#2) that is always pegged at around 95%. Not sure how to fix this as CPU 1 and 3 seem to run around 5% each when I'm recording. #2 is like 95%. If you know anything about this issue shot me a line. Thanks everyone for your help.

Matt

No Solution but...

I've found the problem. Unfortunately its the Tubefire Unit itself. Not so much the hardware as the drivers. When I disable the drivers in Windows boom, the CPU Usage is sitting at round 3-5% but if I put it back on it spikes to 95%. I emailed ART so we'll see what they say this week.

Matt

Back