man almighty

juust broke my first stick in years..............................

must have been a shoddy vic firth:rolleyes:
Why would you blame the stick maker? Maybe it was just you. Had you been playing ProMark or Calato...you'd be saying the same thing.

juust broke my first stick in years..............................

must have been a shoddy vic firth:rolleyes:

Hmmm, yeah... must've been a defect in the wood.:D

It happens:D.

It's interesting how much money you save in sticks, heads and cymbals, not to mention pain pills and doctors fees, when you learn how to strike the drums properly.

I remember when I started playing, I was going through sticks like a beaver. My heads were FULL of dents, digs and craters.Then I read an article in Modern Drummer with Ed Shaunessy (long time ago:p) where he said:

If you are going through sticks and heads like they are going out of style, you are obviously playing wrong.

It took me a few months to adjust my playing (self taught), but once I got it I rarely broke anything and my heads lasted sometimes for years.

I even had a pair of Pro Mark 747s last me about five years! Good thing too, cuz I was so broke then I couldn't afford a new pair.

Then one of your many musician friends decides to get behind the kit and that's when it happens. Blame them for the broken sticks.

the way i look at it, the stick breaking is simply "taking one for the team" with respect to your wrists. wouldn't you rather have the stick break than have all that vibration go to your hands, wrists and arms?

i don't break a LOT of sticks (at least, not anymore).......but it seems that given the right rimshot at the right angle and they pop like popcorn.

cheers,
wade

Why would you blame the stick maker? Maybe it was just you. Had you been playing ProMark or Calato...you'd be saying the same thing.

Yeah Slidey, it’s probably you not the stick. I mean since this is the first stick you've broke in years, then it must be your technique.

Oh no wait, people with bad technique are constantly breaking sticks. Now I get it! Some people just like being a-holes.

If its not too late go get a brain El Gordo.

Yeah Slidey, it’s probably you not the stick. I mean since this is the first stick you've broke in years, then it must be your technique.

Oh no wait, people with bad technique are constantly breaking sticks. Now I get it! Some people just like being a-holes.

If its not too late go get a brain El Gordo.

yip it's my technique man 2nd stick in ike 10+years out of a total of 24 aint to bad huh. now imagine if I was to develop a good technique

RIGHT (self indulgent ego rant)

after as I stated 24 years of almost dailly playing drums & taking in almost any style thrown at me pipe band lessons (I never marched) taking on blues, country, traditional, slowly developing a taste & liking for all things jazz & delving in to all sorts of other weird & wonderful ventures. Taking a tuition course with top session guys of scotland was VERY educational as far as drumming went

I used to BATTER a kit senseless & managed (surprisingly) to not break many sticks. As I got older I realised that the kit's sound benefits from being hit at a happy medium where the player I.E me is totally relaxed & not having to expend any more energy than is actually needed to let the stick do it's work

After a ludicrous amount of session jobs on drums bass & guitar I've learnt a lot about what to & not to do by watching & going away & learning & I reckon between fingers & toes I could still keep track of the number of broken sticks, I've never cracked a cymbal & I think I've burst 2-3 heads

wait till I get a good technique................I'm still going. Ez_willis put a youtube video of a young gent up & my god talk about technique that guy takes it to an unbelievable point. I WONDER IF HE BREAKS THE ODD STICK NOW & THEN

go freakin figure el-guapo, go on be off with you

amateurs break sticks, professionals recieve the occasional flawed stick & flawed sticks come in vater, pro mark, peavey, vic firth etc etc etc

right, think I'll go & mix the drums I just layed down

Back