Male TRS 1/4" to two Female TS 1/4" - Stereo Splitter?

naftulikay

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, and it has two headphone ports. I'd like for one of these ports to be used as output to my Yamaha HS-5 monitors and the other for headphones. My desktop audio is going out through the Scarlett, and I've had some trouble finding a male TRS 1/4" to dual female TS 1/4" stereo splitter.

I accidentally bought a splitter which simply outputs the same stereo signal to both ports, which might be useful in some case, but certainly not this one.

Is there a specific search term that I should be using that for some reason is eluding me at the moment?

IMG_0466.jpg
IMG_0467.jpg

The actual interface looks like this, note that I have a "duplicator" which simply duplicates stereo output to both ports, which means that both speakers are only playing the left channel I think, and it's clipping.

PXL_20220502_180432268.jpg

stereo ¼" to two ¼" TS jacks are very common. male to female anything is rare, mainly I think, because inline female connectors are rarely much good, apart from the big chunky Neutriks which don't fall out! plug to plug is always better than plug to socket to plug to plug.

Headphone out isn’t intended for speakers.
That’s what the monitor out on the back of the unit is for.

Why not just use the Monitor output on the back that's designed for that exact purpose?
PXL_20220502_212047922.jpg

Where are the monitor outputs?

I'm also using this to drive the monitors when I'm booted into Linux, so I can't really customize much as far as routing is concerned. Being able to use the two headphone outputs, one for the monitors, one for actual headphones, and being able to simply turn down the output level on the monitors for when I want to use the headphones is very helpful and ideal.

I'll have my headphones plugged into one input and my monitors into the other. I can turn down the monitor output with the knob and use headphones and vice versa.

I assumed that the line outs/ins were for send/returns.

My monitors only have XLR or 1/4" ins.

I'm pretty sure outputs 1 and 2 are the default left/right outputs for feeding studio monitors. I expect that to be the case even in Linux.

It looks like someone has made a GUI for the ALSA driver for the Scarlett interfaces.

Thank you, this is exactly what I need. My kernel is not new enough to run it but it's high time I upgrade my distribution anyway, so I guess that's in the cards. Might boot a VM and pass through USB to see if it works with the newer distro I'll use.

This has been very helpful, thank you all.

I'll ultimately be using Windows for when I'm recording/mixing/mastering, but Linux is where I do most of my work and it's nice to have some support here for if I want to use this for podcasting and streaming.

Back