Making Wall Panels

bigtom

Hey Guys,

Did you build a 1x2 frame for your wall panels or did you just mount them flush to the wall. I only ask because of some pictures I have seen, they look like they are flush and I thought they had to be raised, like on the 1x2 frame.

I've got my mineral wool here, I got 4 packages with 6 2in boards each in them. As soon as I get the answer I'm building some frames and putting them up, can't wait to see if there is any difference or not.:D:D:D:D

Thanks again
Big Tom

Depends on what you need them to do. Yes, it's handy and easier to hang if you do a frame behind the absorbtion (around the edges) or just make the perimeter frame deeper than the absorbtion. That way, you get the extended bass control without having to jury-rig how to space them off the wall.

Bryan

Thanks,

I,ve already been building and installing my bass traps using 4in of the min wool. Now I'm getting ready to construct and place wall panels to help with diffusion of mids and highs. I was planning on using 2in of the min wool for that, I'm just not sure if they need to off the wall coulple of inches or if they can be flush on the wall.

Again,
Thanks

How big is the room? What all are you doing in there? How much square footage do you already have in bass absorbtion and where is it placed?

All of those things will help determine if you need them to go a bit deeper or not.

Bryan

bpape,

The room is 16x28x8.5, walls and ceiling are painted osb, floor is carpet over cement. I've been recording everything from bands to solos. I have made 10 2x4x4in mineral wool bass traps. 9 are mounted at 45% where the walls and ceiling come together. 1 is mounted in a corner from the ceiling down to a desk. One corner has two doors (one on each wall) so I canot mt. anything above them. One wall is full of shelves (where I keep instruments, mics, cables, stands and anything else that needs to be hidden) and is covered with curtains so you can't see the shelves and this goes floor to ceiling and wall to wall. I'm thinking of putting about 15 2in panels on the walls and maybe some on the ceiling as well.

Thanks for taking the time to answer,

Big Tom

Definitely make them with a gap in back then. The room isn't conducive to absorbing a lot by itself due to construction and the size will produce some pretty low modes.

Also, all of your bass absorbtion is up high in the room. This will help some lower in the room and make it overall more balanced.

Bryan

Back