Making Vocals Stand over beat and sit well

traw

What settings do I used to make the vocals stand out from the original beat in CEP? I am having a hard time with them not being drowned under or sounding wrong over the beat. It is killing me. Please help. Any special plugins I should consider. I use a reverb,compressor,parametric processor,eq.....and man it dosent sound quite right especially in my car.

Recording over a stereo mixdown of a beat, will never yeild a professional mix with your vocals.

The best way to get them mixed well, is to get your vocal levels right, so they stand out a bit from the beat. So they're "in front" of the mix, so to speak. Then export a mixdown...

Take that mixdown, and run some light compression on it, to sort of squeeze the whole thing together a bit. It will help the vocals sit better in the mix, but it won't be perfect.

what plugins should i use on the vocals then? Or what plugins do you use to make them sit over the beat and sound well?

I'd first try to get the mix as good as possible without any plugins. Just use the volume faders to get a good balance between the backing track and the vocals.

You may want to compress the vocals a bit to get a more consistent level, but it's better to get a good, consistent level from the start.

Then mixdown to a stereo file and apply a little compression on the entire stereo file to "glue" everything together.

I think that's what Change was saying.

There may also be other ways such as reverb to "glue" the mix together.

Also posting a sound clip of what you have now wouldn't hurt.

danny.guitar said:
I'd first try to get the mix as good as possible without any plugins. Just use the volume faders to get a good balance between the backing track and the vocals.

You may want to compress the vocals a bit to get a more consistent level, but it's better to get a good, consistent level from the start.

Then mixdown to a stereo file and apply a little compression on the entire stereo file to "glue" everything together.

I think that's what Change was saying.

There may also be other ways such as reverb to "glue" the mix together.

Also posting a sound clip of what you have now wouldn't hurt.

Yep, that's exactly what I was saying. I guess I'm not as user friendly as danny. :D

Back