Making up my mind...

Prism

I want to build a studio eventually, but I have a few problems.

I live at home - with parents and all. We have 10 acres and don't use even half of it. Here's what I'm having trouble with: Should I build myself a nice little studio on my parents' property now, or should I wait a few years till I can afford my own acreage, and then build myself a studio? I plan on going into freelance graphic design and illustration as a living, but I gotta have a recording studio and I don't want to wait too long...I suppose I could always just live really close to my parents' place, 'cause dang - there are tons of great locations on our hills to build a studio...perfect country setting, and that's just what I want.

2nd question:
I can't decide on a good size, or how to plan it. I want it relatively small, but big enough to accomodate a regular sized band, along with a control room and all...I want it to be roomy and comfortable with lots of atmosphere, but not hugely spacious. I was originally thinking 20x16', but now I'm thinking bigger. Would it be foolish to build on a hillside/slope? I kind of like the "cabin in the woods" appearance, but if it will make for bad acoustics or anything, I should probably do something different. If I did the slope plan, I would probably use 2x8's for the floor beams, and 4x4 or thicker for the supports which would rest on concrete pyramids with a couple feet of concrete footings poured in the ground beneath. Is that a good plan, or am I just stupid? I've been considering the "staggered stud" method for the walls, as described on John Sayers' website. What would be a good insulation for that particular design? Should I use plywood on the exterior walls, as well as interior, with a layer of thin sheetrockon the inside walls? I'm very naive in this area and I would reaaaallly appreciate some advice from people who know what's what.

Thanks a million, whoever you may be...

Isaiah

Anybody? Mr. Sayers? I need a little advice, please....or else "they'll" kill me.

Isaiah

Well - I don't really know Prism. You have to work out what you want to do first. A farm location is ideal as you don't have to spend heaps soundproofing your building as people in the cities do. A simple timber building hanging out over a valley on poles sounds wonderful to me.

cheers
john

Wow...I guess it's quite advantageous to live in the country, eh? No traffic...the only noise would be dogs barking in the distance, wind and occassional rain. I guess it really doesn't matter where you build your studio when you don't have to worry about outdoor noise, huh? Man I'm lucky...

Were you able to follow my plans for interior acoustics? Even if I don't need to soundproof my studio from outdoor noise, I would like to have my control room and my live room acoustically independent, if you take my meaning...

We'll see what happens... I might be getting a new job soon, making wads of cash...this could get interesting.

Isaiah

Whatever you do, wait with major construction until you have your own place, be it close your parents or on Mars.

It's really great to work with your house/garden/studio but before you start, know that you are going to stay there long enough to see that little twig as a large tree. You can of course never be sure that you're going to stay there forever but that should be the plan before you build a studio.

If you have the possibility, the cabin in the woods approach is probably the best. Less windy (i.e. noisy) than in the middle of a field. Just make sure you clear the area around the house so you don't get a nice *timbeeeer* through the control room:) If you're building a new house, just pick the coolest plan you can afford from John's site and you should be a happy man for ever after.

*hint hint* I'm a civil engineer if you need help with the actual construction. You do of course need to contact a local professional to get the detailed plans, but I can probably help you out a bit with the basics.

/Ola

Back