Making the Choice...

Darkstar

My recording equipment has been sitting dormant for some time now and just recently have I had the time to sift through the hundreds of cassettes full of songs I had written. Listening to them now, I am not happy with the sound quality. I am thinking about getting into digital recording, be it through a soundcard/comp or hard disk recorder. I have been poring over many sites and message boards and I'd like to ask some of the more experienced users here what I should do in my situation.

What I'm doing is recording full songs - guitar, bass, drums(machine), keys, harp etc. I do not need to do anything simeltaneously, one track at a time is just fine.

My dillema is the computer/stand-alone question. Funds are not really an issue, although I don't want to buy the very top of the line. I have 2 computer systems (PC) already and both have more than enough memory/hd space/speed/CD recorders, so that is not an issue at all. Neither is computer expertise, as I am very good with complex computer programs.

My questions are as follows:

For what I am doing, is it better to go computer or standalone?

If I do go computer, would I be able to use my Tascam 488mkII 8-track in any way? Is there some use for it in a computer-based setup? I'm guessing you can't go directly into the soundcard without some kind of unit to go through, correct me if I'm wrong.

If I go standalone, is it as simple as recording onto the unit, then plugging it into the computer to edit and mix the tracks with something like Cakewalk?

I'm just trying to get an idea of the pros and cons of each setup as it pertains to my current needs. Thanks for any help.

<-----------------Newb!

Go standalone.

No PC conflicts and crashes. No mouse dragging. Everything is integrated without any conflicts. Once you add up the decent software, soundcards, plug ins, preamps, upgrades, etc., the PC system ends up costing much more. Check out the Cubase, Cakewalk, and PC forums. Notice how many questions there are about crashing systems, hardware conflicts, etc?

If you do go standalone, the Roland VS-series rocks.

Matt

For other reasons I agree with BBB to a certain extent. As I mentioned in another post here I think the use of a board is easier for a mixdown. I currently use PC based with good results but it is a little more difficult as I like faders and knobs....call me old school. :D

I do think there is a TREMENDOUS value in using a PC with a good editor as a mastering tool. I love the ability to SEE the wave file when I master - it especially gives you the ability to see volume levels which are not ideal as you make changes.

Bottom line - when I get the money for a board I will do both because I believe each has strengths and weaknesses.

Just my 2 cents...

zip >>

Back