Making Smooth Edits?

guitarmagic

Hi everybody, i had to cut out a little section of one of my bands drum tracks because the drum fill was off time. Now i have the track on time but the problem is where i cut theres like a sort of clip. You can tell that it was cut. I tried moving the tracks closer or overlaping even combining them and nothing fixed this little clip. Is there anyway to get rid of this little annoying clip? I'm using Ableton Live.

Thanks.

You should definately crossfade them. You can try a longer crossfade to see if that clears it up.

Another thing to try is making sure that the audio in the two clips, where they crossfade, and in phase with each other.

Another thing to try is to make SURE each clip is starting/ending at a Zero Crossing.

One or a combination of the above will solve the problem. As to how to do that in your software, I have no idea because I don't use that software.

What Fordvan really meant to say is that ... you're basically screwed.

And you better learn to like bad-sounding edits.

Another thing to try is to make SURE each clip is starting/ending at a Zero Crossing.

This is how to do it. I know some DAWs have a "snap to zero" function that aids in this, but it's just as easy to zoom in really far (so you can see the actual wave) and start/end the edits where the wave crosses zero. The trick is finding out which crossing is best, which is basically guess and check. Make sure you don't cut off reverb tails!

I use AA 2.0 for mix and editing, there's an amplitude mute function in it that allows for this, simple and non destructive, just highlight and tic...no clicks or noises. You may want to invest in another editing program to go along with the Live.

It's always a good idea to sample seperate parts of a kit after tracking just incase you really need to do an edit like this. Just get some recordings of all the seperate drums and cybals by themselves. You can do this after recording the actual drum track to make sure it sounds the same (mic placement etc...).

Example: when you edit something and it cuts off the decay of a cymbal - well, if you made a sample of that cymbal, you can just put it in over the first recording and it will help smooth things out for you.

But, the absolute best way is to just get the drummer to keep doing it until it's a really good take. It may take hours upon hours, but it's well worth it.

Make your cuts a zero crossings. I can slice and dice and the edits are practicly inaudible.

Back