Making my bad room sound good (help!)

Gunther

Hi all,

The room is a 10’ X 12’ basement room with 7’4” ceiling height. Small, I know. It had a nasty early echo and ring which I was able to fix with some Auralex. What I did was put four 2’ X 4’ Auralex panels on the back 10’ wall, which is behind me when I am sitting at the workstation. The foam along with a couch covers about 85% of the back wall. The two 12 foot side walls have 3 sheets each, so they are about 50% covered on the upper 4 feet of the wall and not at all covered on the lower part (stuff takes up part of the lower 3 feet of the wall, like my keyboards and a table with junk on it…) The wall that my pc / monitors are on has no treatment.
Now the mids and highs sound sweet and the imaging has been dramatically improved. Plus recording vocals in the room is now possible… so the money I put into the Auralex was well spent.

However I am not so sure about the bass in the room. It’s a little boomy in there, there seems to be a peak somewhere in the mid bass. Also, the bass seems louder when sitting on the couch than when sitting at the workstation. I am using a powered sub and two bookshelf speakers, all of very good quality, but I am afraid that the bass just can’t develop properly in such a small room. However, I am stuck with the room, and for now, the monitors and sub, so I need to make it as good as possible.

These are the details of the room construction:
As said above, the room is 10 X 12 with a 7’4” height. The walls of the room have been filled with r-13 on one of the long walls and r19 in the other 3 walls (the 2 short walls are 6” thick to hide a support column, so r19 fits.) One of the long walls was built next to the cement foundation; actually it leaves about 8’ to a foot of a gap, so there is a good bit of space behind the wall (for access). The ceiling is a suspended ceiling with 2 X 2 acoustic tiles, and r19 between the joists above. The floor is thick carpet over a thick layer of padding over bare cement. All sheetrock is thin, 3/8th.

So my questions:

1) Does the construction of the room help or hurt bass absorption / production?
2) Would it be a good idea or waste of money to buy a 1/3 octave stereo graphic EQ and use my SPL meter and test tones to tweak the freq response of the room / monitor combo. If so, what’s a good one to buy for cheap (100 – 200$)?
3) Any tips / tricks to get this room sounding better?
4) Should I treat the wall that my monitors are on with Auralex? Right now that wall is bare.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Gunther,

> It’s a little boomy in there, there seems to be a peak somewhere in the mid bass. Also, the bass seems louder when sitting on the couch than when sitting at the workstation. <

This is typical of all rooms, and especially small rooms like yours. The only real solution is bass traps, and plenty of them. Foam rubber is not viable for bass traps. At the minimum you need rigid fiberglass, and lot's of it, spaced as far away from the walls as possible. Better still are panel traps. For some detailed explanations see "Build a better bass trap" on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

Also follow the link in that article to my company's site. Even if you have no budget to buy commercial traps, there are additional explanations worth studying.

> I am afraid that the bass just can’t develop properly in such a small room. <

That's a common misconception. In fact, a small room that is treated adequately with bass traps can reproduce extremely low frequencies.

> Would it be a good idea or waste of money to buy a 1/3 octave stereo graphic EQ <

Forget EQ. The only real solution is to treat the room properly.

--Ethan

Let me ask a more basic question, where exactly do I put my Auralex foam? the more I read, the more I seem to get confused.

. . . . Front wall
---------------------------
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
| . . .M . . . . . . . M . . .|
| . . . . . . . X . . . . . . . |
---------------------------
. . . . Back wall

(M stands for monitor, the X is where I sit)

I have 10 sheets of 2’ X 4’ foam, do I cover the front wall, partially cover the side walls and leave the back empty? Or the reverse? Or something else?

thx again

Ethan,

Thanks for the great info, I gave your site a good reading. I might just try to build a few of those pannels (Couldn't afford to buy one, thats for sure.)

It also makes sence to me (after a lot of reading) that you cant cure a standing wave with an EQ.

Either way, its pretty clear to me I need some sort of bass trap. I just have to determine what I can build myself on the cheap that I can fit into my room. I dont have much space to work with, so the fiberglass tube type seems like an interesting, easy to make trap, if I cant do the panels traps.

Anyway, thanks man.

Gunther,

> where exactly do I put my Auralex foam? <

Rigid fiberglass is better than foam, but since that's what you have...

As you probably saw in my bass traps article, I favor an alernating mix of hard and soft surfaces around the room. You can either apply the foam in vertical stripes or use a checkboard pattern. The goal is to avoid having any one large area all live or all dead.

> I dont have much space to work with, so the fiberglass tube type seems like an interesting, easy to make trap, if I cant do the panels traps. <

I'm telling you, the tube shape as a bass trap is a myth. If you can't manage to build real bass traps, get as much 703 or 705 as you can afford, and apply it to the walls leaving as much of an air gap between the fiberglass and the walls as you can tolerate.

--Ethan

Ethan,

I think I am going to put some 4inch thick 2' X 4' pannels of 703 in the room, right behind the monitors. I am hoping this cleans up the bass a bit.

There even is a dealer somewhat near me.

Thanks for the advice... Wish I could bring back this Auralex...

Gunther

Ok, this is what I finally did… on the back wall I put 2 home made panels. These panels are 4 foot by 4 foot, and made of 4 inch thick 703 fiberglass backed by ¼ inch plywood and covered in black linen (actually, it is doubled up 2 inch 703). The panels are spaced 2” from the wall. The sidewalls are covered in staggered Auralex. The front wall and the front of the sidewalls are covered nearly completely in Auralex to kill any early reflections from the speakers.

This room sounds great now. It’s a little on the dead side, but that’s ok, since I record in here as well as mix. The 4’ X 4’ panels really suck up bass… MUCH more than the Auralex could ever. The sound is much more balanced than with Auralex alone. I can really tell the difference between the thick 703 and the Auralex.

So I spent 50$ on 9 sheets of 703, 20$ on linen to cover it and 20$ on hardware and plywood… So $90 and 2 hrs of work to make the panels. Compare that to $220 for 10 sheets of Auralex that do half as much.

I am a happy camper now :) Bass in my small room sounds good. Got my room set for my new monitors, they should be here next Friday.

Thanks Ethan for pushing me to get rigid fiberglass. I am glad I listened.

Gunther,

> So $90 and 2 hrs of work to make the panels. Compare that to $220 for 10 sheets of Auralex that do half as much. <

Bingo.

> Thanks Ethan for pushing me to get rigid fiberglass. I am glad I listened. <

Glad to - that made my day! :)

--Ethan

Back