making good judgement call with compressor settings

mpayne0

This is post #1 for me.

Someone mentioned somwhere deep in the ED=GOD post about learning
how to LISTEN for optimal threshold/attack/release settings for compression and limiting.

I cannot figure this out.
I set the attack/release one way and it sounds better at one point of the song, it usually sounds horrible at another point of the same song. Basically I go into cycles everytime I use the compressor. When I do find a setting that that stops breathing, or chopping my music up, generally it doesn't sound any better, just louder because of the make up gain. Sometimes my mid range gets fuller, not always.

I am trying to figure the mental/audible process of determining settings, if that makes any sense.

Its beginning to be that i will say, OK settings perfect!!
just because i got rid of the pumping/breathing (that I didn't have in the 1st place) Not that the compression helped.

Possibly the song didn't need compression, or i am not hearing things the way I should in order to make optimal setting choices.

Who said that you have to use compression. Why are you reaching for the compressor in the first place? If you can't make it sound better, why use it?

Usually what I do is use a dramatically lower threshold and/or higher ratio than I would normally end up with and play with the attack and release settings first to get the desired envelope. This can help you really hear what the compressor is doing. Then back off on the threshold and ratio until you like the sound.

If you are compressing individual tracks or groups of tracks, try to adjust the compressor settings while listening to the entire mix, not soloing the individual tracks. Processing a track soloed and then sticking it in the mix doesn't usually work very well for me. I'm not sure if you are using plugins or hardware, but I have yet to find many plugin comps that sound very good to my ears. Often times I'll mult a track, compress one and leave the other alone and mix the two together.

I actually am not sure why compression is such talked about as the most important step in mastering myself...

Only on some of my songs, I feel the need to lessen the dynamics, and bring up the mid range. Or even see if I can bring something unexpected out of the beat.
Some beats seem to need extra punch.

I do want to be able to use it when necessary though...the proper way.

I use Spark XL on finished mixes.
i do not like compression on separate tracks.

Yes, that is what i do (same with EQ adjusting)
boost as far as it can go to make the change obvious, get the attack/release the way I like it, and back down on threshold.
But it never really sounds BETTER. Different, maybe, Better, no.

I am thinking it will only really work for really even rythmic, predictable beat types.
My stuff goes all over the place, one area of beat will need compression another area won't.

thanks for response

I would rethink your position on using compression for individual tracks. That is usually where it is most beneficial.

If you want to really bring out the rhythm you can put all your drums and bass on a buss and compress the hell out of it so it is really pumping. Then mix that back in with the dry drums and bass.

Back