Making Cords?

jdavis

Ok, for all you guys who make your own cords, where do you get the stuff to do it? I figured switchcraft has the plugs, but I just need to know where to get the cable, etc.. etc...

I just got a patchbay, and thought "oh, i've got 10 cords, this is PLENTY" Yeah...right. I only need about 100 more. So, if anyone can help me out, thanks!

***Justin***

OK, I found the cable...it was right under my nose(fullcompass catalog on my desk). Anyway, now i'm wondering of the importance of good cable vs. good connectors. I know the cable is important, i'm looking at the Mognami stuff. The connectors....Switchcraft or Neutrik?

Also, what gauge of wire would you recommend for small(8"-1') cables for a patchbay. Is 26 gauge good, or should I go to 24 or 22? Thanks!

***Justin***

not that I'm qualified to answer those questions, but I'll say what I'd so... (will do, have done, whatever)

I plan to use Neutrik connectors, but not based on anything too substantial. They are "top end", as I assume are the Switchcraft?

Six, and one-half dozen the other, perhaps?

As to the wire-guage for a patchbay, I would think you could get away with murder if you design it so that there are no power cords or power supplies too nearby it -- it's a controlled environment for the most part, so I would only put top-end cable there if I had won a big lottery.

-Shaz

The Neutrik 1/4" connectors are great but they have one flaw - they are pretty wide, this can cause problems if you need to use them on gear which has the jacks close together.

vox said:
The Neutrik 1/4" connectors are great but they have one flaw - they are pretty wide, this can cause problems if you need to use them on gear which has the jacks close together.

I know what your talking about, as I have homemade insert cables(not by me) at my church and they terminate in the wide, plastic Neutrik connectors. But on a few of my store bought guitar cables here at home have connectors that say Neutric on the side, but are no wider than the switch craft.

Back