Making Basement Studio Quieter

Spillenger

I have a finished basement in my house at the end of a quiet dead-end street. The larger section of the basement measures roughly 20’ x 22’ – basically a square – and there is another smaller space that comes off the larger one forming a kind of “L” with it. It's about 10' x 15'.

In the larger section, I have my computer and desk, which I use for work. All my music supplies, instruments and equipment are also near the desk. I have been recording music at this desk for a few years now, but I am dissatisfied with the noisiness of the space, and I want to set up a “studio” in the smaller section of the basement – not a closed-in room, but just a space away from the CPU and other noise-making devices.

I record on a Mac Pro; my sound card is a Presonus Firebox; I run my mic first through a Presonus TubePre; I use an M-Audio Axiom Pro controller. My cables (all balanced) are not especially high-end. I typically play acoustic and electric guitars; mandolin; banjo; bass; keyboards; percussion; I also sing.

A few other details: the basement ceilings are 7 feet high; the floor is carpeted with a rough wall-to-wall carpeting; the walls are mostly wood and dry wall, with a couple of bookcases. The HVAC system, unfortunately, is in the basement (in a utility room off the finished basement area), and there are heat and air ducts in the ceiling above both sections and one vent above each section. I have not acoustically treated the basement in any way, except for a few Aurelex pads underneath my studio monitors.

Obviously, there are two kinds of noise I’m experiencing – (1) electrical noise/hiss/hum having to do with my computer, devices, cables and electricity setup; and (2) ambient noise that I believe comes mainly from my CPU and hard drives; the HVAC system and water heater; and the hard surfaces of the walls and ceiling. Occasionally, I get noise from outside, but it is very rare and in any case it’s not my main problem.

My theory is that if I make sure to turn off the HVAC system, place my microphone far from my “control station,” and possibly treat the smaller room acoustically in some way, I will make the recording space quieter, which is my first goal – I’m not yet at the point of worrying about “live” and “dead” rooms. For now, I just want the room noise/hiss/hum to diminish.

So, my questions are: Does my theory seem reasonable? Is it a good idea to set up a separate space as opposed to actually building a separate room in my basement? Are there any other typical sources of noise I should be aware of that would be relevant to my situation? Are there basic acoustical treatment things I could do to improve things?

Many thanks.

Paul

Well acoustic treatment is used to control reverberation, its not really "Soundproofing" anything.
If you could add a wall to separate the noise source from the isolation booth, it would help, adding acoustical treatment would be an added bonus. A heavy curtain might even work. You just basically want to limit the amount of air that can get through, sound travels through air so stopping it would drop your problems. Of course louder sounds could get through better but of the sounds you speak of they should be stopped by simply separating the areas. You'll also want to use a heavy door and make sure it is snug.
Of course this may be over your budget but what ever you do try to limit the amount of air that could pass through.
Also might want to think about replacing all the fans in your computer to quieter versions. Shouldn't run you more than $30 depending on if you power supply is too loud and you have to replace that too.

Back