Making A CD Of My Music

Hey, Doc...

I've been following your foray into home recording for awhile, and let me just say that you are making amazing progress in a very short period of time!

Your realization that room treatment must be considered is just another one of those "Aha!" moments in disguise. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, BAM! - Yet another detail to be factored into the overall equation.

My journey has mirrored your own to some degree, and I know that initially I was also overlooking the need for room treatment until someone on this forum recently made me understand the necessity of it. Just think of it as another door opening that will add to your knowledge and experience, and will ultimately contribute towards making you one of the experts around this forum in short order. (Especially at your current rapid rate of progress!) :D

Thanks, mate... Well, I love this subject. I guess that helps... Or maybe I'm one of these 'obsessive types'. I notice I tend to throw myself right in, when learning something new. What also helps is admitting you know nothing and being willing to learn from others. I teach film/make-up techniques and often find myself surrounded by newbies in that area. :)

Kindest regards

Dr. V

I've been reading up on reflection. I think I could viably treat a 'sweetspot' in this new room - that is - absorbers/diffusers behind the monitors. (etc., etc., etc.)
I have never - NEVER - Not EVER - been in a room of typical home construction that didn't need a rather impressive amount of broadband absorption to get it even "within reason" -

True - You don't need to worry about recording acoustics. But the most important acoustic treatment is always the control room. My living room sounds wonderful when I'm listening to great recordings - But I'd never be able to create a great recording in my living room...

Massive, we're shifting the sitting room to another part of the house. That leaves a larger downstairs room for me to move the music gear into. It will double up as the sculpture studio, with the computer bench occupying one wall and corner of the room. I hope to be able to get the monitors against a flat wall, with a little breathing space behind them. Because it'll be a general 'work room', any acoustic panels or what-knot will not look out of place. I don't generally work with the monitors loud, unless I'm alone in the house.

Wow... This conversation's gone from burning a CD to designing a room!

Dr. V

Last edited:
Take a look at putting the computer desk on wheels so you can get yourself and the monitors off the wall and out of the corner. Your room treatment will go even firther if you are able to position yourself well in the room when you mix

I have to say that although room treatment is far less exciting to look at or buy then shiny new gear the difference it makes is huge and probably more impactful than anything with flashing LEDs and knobs to twiddle

If you're renting and can't make permanent modifications to your dwelling, you can still add room treatment and fairly cheaply, too. You can make and place free standing gobos around the room and then take them down when you're done. Put a couple of 2'x2' 703 panels behind your monitors.

You want good room treatment for when you're mixing, not just for recording.

Lots of great ideas in the Studio Build forums. I think you can get good results without spending a ton of cash.

Good luck, Doc!!

there ARE things that might work in a house that will act as soundtreatment.
For example, my mixing area is in the same room as my record collection. Having 6000 albums on shelves all around the room does a pretty good job of controlling early reflections.
A room full of books would work also.
Not the very best treatment but way better than bare walls.

I think I could deaden a room with all the books and vinyl we have here. Thanks, Bob - that gives me an idea...

Dr. V

Back