Makie 1604 VLZ routing questions

twonky

Fellers/Fellets:

I just ordered one of those nifty Samson C Control thingys for my control room.

So I was all excited and thinking finally a talkback mic and a way to monitor multiple sources on multiple speakers when I suddenly thought of something, “this might not work!”

Question 1:

I currently have a Mackie 1604VLZ, I am running the CR Rooms outs to my power amp (RA100) and the power am is running into one of those cheapie Radio Shack A/B/C selectors for speakers. Will I be able to run the power amp outs though this Samson thing and still power the speakers? Or will I have to have two power amps and feed them separately from the Samson?

Question 2:

For those of you who may be using the 1604 VLZ and are successfully using a headphone amp; how are you feeding the amp from the mixer? Currently I am feeding headphones to the band from the CR/Phones output but they are always affected by the volume changes I make to either the main LR Volume or the CR Volume, so I end up having to jockey the power amp up and down so as not to disturb the headphone volume.

Any help is mucho appreciated

Twonky

The Samson looks like a line level device to me, you're probably gonna need seperate amps.
Why not just run the phones off an auxillary send with a cheap headphone amp.
You can just use an ordinary mic for talkback if you have a spare channel.

Vox, I use a mic through a channel now, and it works, buuuuu-uuut, a dedicated TB mic would be really cool. I can deal w/ two amps, I have been wanting to get a stereo receiver to check mixes on anyway, so this will just force me to do it.

Twonky,
I have a similar set up (1604 vlz/multiple monitors/etc) and as was suggested by bleyrad, I use the prefader aux outs to feed my headphone amp. It makes it easy for me to make adjustments to all other levels without affecting the headphone feed.

Tmix- Are you feeding the a stereo playback of the song to your headphones or individual instuments?

If you are doing the stereo mix, how are you routing that through the mixer?

Thanks again
Twonky

My set up

Twonky,

On the front end I am running all stand alone pres into my Delta 1010. Sometimes when I need more pres I use the Mackies pres out the directs. From the computer I am taking 8 outs of my Delta to 8 channels of my Mackie. I will receive a stereo mix into say channels 9 and 10 and use the aux send to run to my headphone mix. To get the front end stuff into the headphone mix I use the onboard monitor mixer built into the Delta to route whatever levels I want from the pres directly into the outputs of the Delta where it ends up at the mackie-out the auxs to the headphone amp. That way I have the speakers plugged into the main outs of the Mackie and can have a totally independant mix there as well by using the individual faders, or I can shut off the speakers by pulling down the main output faders, and not affect the headphone mix.

Hope that makes sense.

Back