Makeshift 1/2 takeup reel...

MartyMcFly

Hey,
Is there anyway to take a 1/4" reel and use it as a 1/2" takeup reel? Im thinking if I take 1 flange off and put it all back together I can put it facing flange down. That should work. Anyother ideas???

You might experience uneven tape winding problems if it's not precise enough. Why not use 1/2" take-up reels? They go for around $15.

I am in the process of getting 1 but thats taking time...But in the meantime i want to try my new machine out...
The whole problem started when I bought the 38-8 and the guy sent me a 1/4" takeupreel instead. So he's sending one but it will be a few days...

Have you checked local music gear stores? I mean the ones with a bunch of used and vintage gear. They might have it. Even if it's a roll of sticky Ampex tape, just unscrew the reel, throw out the tape and use it as a take-up reel. Just make sure it's not bent.
I'd also suggest to look for a 6-screw reels, those are the best to use.

The tape really needs the proper hub. It’s best to have your tape as smooth and evenly packed as possible. I could see a lot of things going wrong here, including a nasty tape spill. 2500 feet of tape in a pile instead of a spool. Picture Clark Griswold’s tangled ball of Christmas lights in Christmas Vacation. When it really happens you can only laugh about that kind of stuff later. ;)

Attachments

• C_E.jpg
    C_E.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 24
Back