Make this a Hip-Hop & R&B production Thread 4 all 2 learn from. Newbies & Pros

anppilot1

Make this a Hip-Hop & R&B production Thread 4 all 2 learn from. Newbies & Pros

I dont know if this might sound crazy or what, or if it's been done before but, let everyone who produces hip-hop & R&B or hell any mind of music for all I care, post on this thread their:

1. techniques
2. styles
3. mistakes
4. mixing ideas
5. micing techniques
6. what mics for vocal types
7. micing instruments
8. making beats
9. track blending
10. effects. maybe you found a funky effect to put on a vocal track
11. signal routing.

The list is endless guys. Theres more stuff than just that.

I love making music. Bottom line. and I'm HUNGRY. Hungy 2 learn.

Sometimes I can be arrogant and think I have a hot beat/song. Let others listen to it and they think the same. Let another person hear it and they say, "bring that hi hat up" Which goes to show, that its NOT PERFECT.

Everyone has an opinion about music. Whether there a consumer buying music, home studio, or pro. Everyone can learn SOMETHING from someone.

Remember this, when I get arrogant about a hot beat, I realize I'm still a nobody in this business. Am I comming up as a producer/engineer? You bet, And its going quick with the popular A&R contacts I'm meeting, and Hip-Hop tv hosts I've recently became friends with, ect.

Its THEN AND ONLY THEN that I remain HUMBLE, and refuse to get bigheaded. And even when I make it and I will, promise...it's happening now, a white producer producing hip-hop and r&b in Dallas? I get "you got to be kidding me, thats you producing and making that beat? Not bad for a white boy."

I have a 32 track studio in my home for hire, also run it as a independent label.

It's not beyond me to work for FREE sometimes. By doing this, it's opened up some great doors for me.

My wife is co-owner/web IT person/advertising/marketing. I have a manager working with our acts that are signed who works for me - as well as him making his album now. My advertising/PR man making his unorthodox album who is white, and can litterally (lyrically) rap better than Eminem whi is signed with me......but through all of this, I remain HUMBLE. One of my acts signed with me is a girl from American Idol here in Dallas.

I will take advice from anybody on any subject matter. Always have a open ear.

I don't know alot about the "particulars"...I dont have a degree in audio engineering - however, I'm doing something right.

I will ask the occasional knucklehead question from time to time.

BUT REMEMBER THIS: anyone who thinks they know it all, you dont know jack crap. Its the ones who are "HUNGRY" and willing to learn in the long run, will know the most.

WITH THIS SAID,

LET THE KNOWLEDGE START FLOWING !!!!!!!

bottom line homie,

"everyone's a critic" never listen to everyone, but what your heart and the music tells you. Also remember
"YOU CANNOT & WILL NOT SATISFY EVERYONE" once you get that all will be well.

I dont really care for the NEPTUNES (think they care what I think)
SWIZZ BEATZ really sucks ass if you ask me (think he cares)
JERMAINE DUPRI hasnt produced a track from the bottom up since KRISS KROSS days (think he gives a flying fuxx)
PUFF ( I worked with him in 95) he has a group of fellas who sit down and listen to samples then loop beats, then find a eager HUNGRY musician to play keys or bass, now he sticks with YELLOWMAN (mario winans) who I think is really wack

but (think they care what I think) NO

so to the person that tells you to raise the hi-hat or whatever, tell them to produce & mix a track, and make it better than yours . In the end, the people will let you know who has the hottest track

low or raised hi-hat and all

my two cents

BLISS
Producer, Engineer, Writer, Singer & Artist

I've got a big, gigantic 12-inch penis and a beautiful face. But I'm humble. Believe me about this.

I've got a long list of the most beautiful women I've been forunate enough to have had as my lovers. All of whom claim I am the very best.

But I am a very humble person. Let's not make any mistake about this. I believe the most important thing in life is to be humble, open, and willing to learn. No matter how beautiful and perfect I am, remember that I am really just nothing.

The signature

As far as producing, I started in June. I am at a point to where the rymes jus dont hit me quick enough to compose and write a song. So I want my focus in production and recording. In the past five months I have made beats that equal as far as being good in style and quality to match my piers who have been doing production anywhere from 2-5 years.

My beats though, you cant tell, "yeah" thats is a pM produced beat. Cept maybe say it sucks. The only thing Ive noticed is I use a lot more high end frequencied instruments, but I dont have no "signature" so to speak. Dont even know if I really want one. I like my shit sounded diverse, throwin my people off like, "did he do that?" My concern is like this though. Ive made some really mello beats, what if the sound that I thought was mine was actually riff from a song Ive heard in the past? Does this every get to anyone. There is jus too much music to validate the concern. As for now, I jus call it mine. I would never try to ryde off some ones else's shit, unless I had clearence for a sample of their cut or something..............lake, pM

The signature

As far as producing, I started in June. I am at a point to where the rymes jus dont hit me quick enough to compose and write a song. So I want my focus in production and recording. In the past five months I have made beats that equal as far as being good in style and quality to match my piers who have been doing production anywhere from 2-5 years.

My beats though, you cant tell, "yeah" thats is a pM produced beat. Cept maybe say it sucks. The only thing Ive noticed is I use a lot more high end frequencied instruments, but I dont have no "signature" so to speak. Dont even know if I really want one. I like my shit sounded diverse, throwin my people off like, "did he do that?" My concern is like this though. Ive made some really mello beats, what if the sound that I thought was mine was actually riff from a song Ive heard in the past? Does this every get to anyone. There is jus too much music to validate the concern. As for now, I jus call it mine. I would never try to ryde off some ones else's shit, unless I had clearence for a sample of their cut or something..............lake, pM

chessrock said:
I've got a big, gigantic 12-inch penis and a beautiful face. But I'm humble. Believe me about this.

I've got a long list of the most beautiful women I've been forunate enough to have had as my lovers. All of whom claim I am the very best.

But I am a very humble person. Let's not make any mistake about this. I believe the most important thing in life is to be humble, open, and willing to learn. No matter how beautiful and perfect I am, remember that I am really just nothing.

LOL...You fuckin' crack me up chessrock... almost every thread you post in... :D:D:D

Diversity

Anppilot,
The best advice I can give you is to think out side of the box. IMHO hip hop is way overrated these days. I've been a dj/producer for more than 20 somethin years and I started up in NYC at the dawn of the rap era. Back when Kool Moe D and Busy Bee would battle in the park. Don't be afraid to try your hand at different styles of music. The reason why I say hip hop is over rated is not because I don't like it. Being a DJ/producer hip hop has put many steaks on my table. And I still play night clubs and sell beats to wannabe MC's... Let's face it, hip hop is easy to make. I find more of a challenge and get more enjoyment out of producing other styles of dance music, house, D&B, breaks... In the end this has made me a better producer overall and helped me to appreciate these other different genres of music. Think outside of the box and try something that everyone else isn't doing and you find yourself that much further ahead of the game...

Back