Make a recording Studio?

thenextbigthing

Im wanting to make my own recording studio, I want to record Drums, guitar, bass, Vocal, etc. I can record them all but its O.K sound, I have all kinds of crap rigged up to do so, but im wanting to know how to make it sound PROFESSIONAL, is there any sites, books, or anything on the web or if anybody could just throw out some ideas? I just bought a pretty good size building that im going to make a studio out of. Please help a bro out.

Maybe if you post yor current setup someone can help you, if you want to achieve professional results you are going to spend a lot of money, mics, preamps, instruments, computer, room treatment..etc...
you can achieve very good results with not a lot of money, but you have to be more specific in how much you want or can spend.
To me this is one of the best resources on the web to learn about recording, you just have to search the forums, there is tons of info on this site.

Some good suggested reading that I keep at my fingertips.

"Recording Studio Design" by Phillip Newell
"Understanding Audio" by Dan Thompson
"Mastering Audio" by Bob Katz
"Handbook for Sound Engineers by (Glen Bellou)

lol....

hmmm well I can tell you this even if you had a professional studio you wouldnt get professional results. the reason these people get professional results is because they are professionals (years of experience). professionals can even get professional results with non professional gear.

well anyway if you find thw answer out let me know because im going to drop out of school and start saving my 30k dollars a year.

Im wanting to make my own recording studio...im wanting to know how to make it sound PROFESSIONAL.
And you're asking this in a BBS called "Home Recording" because.....? :confused: ;)

The two main things you will need to make it sound professional are going to be: a quality acoustic design and a quality lead engineer. As for the former, for a list of books on studio construction and acoustic design, head over to www.independentrecording.net and click on the Studio Book Catalog icon. From in the catalog, simply click on "Studio Construction and Design" for a linked listing of some 14 books on the subject.

As for the later, it takes an experienced ear and technique to get a recording to sound how we actually want it to sound. It takes someone who doesn't look to make a "professional-sounding" recording, because to the professional engineer, that phrase doesn't mean anything. And it takes someone who already knows the answers to your question.

G.

take what you already have, add a few other things you might need, lock yourself in your room for hours and hours and in a couple of years you might be satisfied with what you do. Read lots on this forum.

Forget about the "professional" sound of 1mil$ studios, you will never get that at home, period. But in a couple of years you might make recordings that sound good if you stick at it and take your time. Otherwise do what Glen said, spend a couple of million and get an engineer ......:D

With plenty of sweat equity and DIY sensibility it can be done for a lot less than 7 figures.

The thing is, that this guy has said that he's already bought a building for this purpose, meaning that he's already put a major investment into it. It also means that he doesn't have years to spend learning the craft himself unless he want to spend those years also paying the loan, taxes and utilities, etc. on that building while he waits to become an engineer in his own right.

It also means that he shouldn't waste that investment by just hanging up a couple of moving blankets and moving in with a Presonus Firepod, a couple of MXL microphones and some BX5 monitors.

If he's serious about having bought this building with the intention of turning it into a professional-sounding studio, he need first of all to put together a business plan that actually gets him up to speed in months instead of years, and does so at a level of quality that'll make him competitive and actually at a minimum pay for his investments. IMHO a key ingredient here is to hook up with someone who knows what they are actually doing, because, to be brutally honest, the very questions he has asked in this thread indicate that he is simply not ready on his own to pull it off yet.

G.

Ok, here's a few pointers;

1) Buy F. Alton-Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics
2) Read said book!
3) Head over to the studio construction forum at GearSlutz and have a look at what other people are doing in similar circumstances.
4) check out John Sayer's forum. Read this extensively. Research your head off, then research some more. Post your ideas on John Sayers website and see what response you get.

This is going to take a long time, and it's gonna be hard work (and that's before you even start building!!). Make sure you get every detail right - leave no stone unturned in your research.

With some cunning thinking, a lot of DIY and some common sense it shouldn't be too hard to make a great studio - but remember, this is a big investment of time and effort on your part. Make sure you have a few good buddies who can help you out.

good luck!!

Back