make a head...

Jeff_D

so im thinkin of buying a pair of the behringer ecm8000 and finding an old manaquin head and making a binaural head (spelling?) to record our practices. This would not be for distribution or anything- more like to help along the writing process. Sometimes we mess around with a new song and the next practice no-one remembers what we were doin- very frustrating. I have a small Behr. mixer that isnt used anymore (in luei of Soundcraft M8) and a Sony Mini Disc desk deck that i havent had i need for lately- so i could use the pre's in the Behr and route left and right to the stereo minidisc. I know this isnt the ideal recording setup- but i have a totally seperate setup that i already use for "real" recording. This could be a "just hit record" type of system. So what do you guys think of my plan- am i seting myself up for disapointment? Or could this be something usefull for the band.

...opinions welcome- other mics maybe? keep in mind that PRiCE is key here. Oh, and skip the Behr knockin- I;ve read all about it. :p. besides i've heard not so bad things about this particular mic

thanks
/jeff

Sounds like a plan to me. You might get some pretty listenable recordings with it if your levels are set right, but certainly they would be more than adequate for documenting your practices.

the ECM8000 are omni's right?- would a cardioid or hypercard be a better choice. Only reason Im eye-ing the Behr's is rediculous low price. If you guys can think of any thing else in the price range then speak up:cool:

thanks guys
/jeff

Rehearsal Recording

We always record our rehearsals. I usually use two condensors in opposite directions from the center of the room. When I get bored I go back and listen for any good stuff that we may have forgotten about. There is a direct correlation between how much beer we drink, and much suff we find on the recording that we did not remember. We have gotten some really great songs from bits and pieces of various drunken jam sessions.
Paul Garvin

Or you could use all that time your going spend building that mic on overtime at work and just buy something you already know works.

That was just a silly illustration pointing out that it may take more time than it's worth. But, if it's just for fun and learning... that's another story. :)

You don't need the head, just get 2 mics. I would recommend a pair of Oktava MK012's, currently $99 a pair at GC. That's marginally more than the behringers, and they are far more versatile mics. They also, like the Behringers aren't really picky about how much phantom power they get. The Behringer boards are notorious for substandard phantom power voltage.-Richie

gentlemen-

thanks for your input-
Chess- very interesting results- very clear stereo representation. I am hopefull for the technique to meet my needs. Thanks for posting the link.

Richie- I have a pair of the Octavas that you speak of- Im very happy with them but I dont typicly leave them sitting out-(they are usually in their cheesey plastic case
:D ) . I look at the ECM8000 as being almost disposable to an extent- read something that can sit out in the open in a smoke filled beer drenched practice space. But then again i guess some would consider the 012's to be somewhat disposal at there price. Theres not much of a price difference but i also dont want another pair of the same mic. One pair is enough. I guess i got some thinking to do

Thanks

You know, I think it would be kind of creepy to sit in my studio alone and play music to a dismembered manequin head, hahahahahaha..... But this sounds like a really fun experiment. The only binaural mics i can think of cost over $2k. Keep in mind of course that they are precision tuned, with pretty high end mics. But it will be fun to get a budget version of this!

Update-

Well, I have obtained a maniquine head and Smatty- she is a scary lookin bitch. Just your garden variety hair stylists training head complete with make-up and a full head of hair- but shes kind of old and a little dirty. My friend brought it to our practice last night and was flashin it in the window- you couldnt see him- just a faint visoin of dismembered head.

Also, I went to Guitar Center and our new Sam Ash (or as I like to call it- Mars- Mars closed down and Sam moved in - its the same shit) and nither one of the sell the ECM8000. So now Im workin on getting a pair of mics that can be semi-perminently installed in the head.

...more to come im sure....

/jeff

I built a bunch of Binaural Skulls awhile back, and love the way they sound...

Used Panasonic omni caps...cheap, and sound great.

These are great drum OH, room mics, or live recording mics...

And the binaural effect on 'phones is downright scary....

Dude, that totally takes the cake as the coolest mic I've ever seen!! I might have to think about making me one of these...

Back