Maintaining condenser microphones

DarrenVocal

Hello there HR peepz, its been awhile since I've posted anything. Anyone here have great expertise on how to preserve the beautiful sound of the microphones you own and ways to clean it, etc?

Don't think that I have ever clean any of my microphones ... other than getting tape residue and such of of them.

Just gotta take very good care of them from the get go.

It's not like the old days when smoking was allowed in every major studio.
The spit guard helps a lot.
Guess the only thing one has to be careful with is humidity, condensation, dust and punk rockers. :D

My tip would be to put one of those little Silica gel bags in the mic box or bag.To take care of any moisture.
Thats all i do. Except take care of them from the get go.

I've left my Rode NTK on a stand for about 7 years. Still works fine. My Sputnik the same for about 2 years.

Plastic bags- ziploc' over the top, or the whole mic in it. Don't need -or want it fully sealed. Mostly the aim is keeping the cap from attracting dust, but letting it follow the flow of the natural air moisture conditions.
As I understand it silica pacs- unless you dry them back out and totally seal them from re-soaking up the moisture.. were done hours after you first used them.

Hmm, i have a box thingy which contains many beads of dehumidifiers, will that work too? I place my microphones in a wooden cabinet, zip up the microphones in their respective pouches and put that box in the cabinet too, but not INSIDE the pouches.

Keep 'em dry and as dust free as possible (either put away when not in use or a plastic bag over the top).

That's about it.

Hmm, i have a box thingy which contains many beads of dehumidifiers, will that work too? I place my microphones in a wooden cabinet, zip up the microphones in their respective pouches and put that box in the cabinet too, but not INSIDE the pouches.

You got two things going there; One is 'beads of dehumidifiers. Are there other kinds besides the silica' - I don't know. (rice in the salt shaker?) Thing is if something actively absorbing the question is how long before it finds it's balance point (saturated state?). Then what? It's done.

Second is how humid does it have to be to hurt the operation of a mic ( what do you do about that -even if it was stored in a dry sealed ..thing'?
Condensation likely is another thing altogether. You can have that in moderate humidity- something colder than the dew point. Like a cold mic and hot breath :)

Mine are in silk or nylon bags, inside their cases, w/silica bag to suck up any moisture, but my studio is climate controlled, so not a big deal.

An engineer once told me to power them up once in awhile to juice up the electronics...and I also do that with all my rack gear occasionally, otherwise some of it can sit unused for months and months and some of the mics even longer.

Mine are in silk or nylon bags, inside their cases, w/silica bag to suck up any moisture, but my studio is climate controlled, so not a big deal.

An engineer once told me to power them up once in awhile to juice up the electronics...and I also do that with all my rack gear occasionally, otherwise some of it can sit unused for months and months and some of the mics even longer.

Yeah, I definitely can relate to the microphones not being used for quite awhile. Thanks for the advice :)

Hey.. I just had a thought.
We got some really neat rocks from the desert we could keep there in the drawer with the mics!

:)

Back