Mains Wiring questions

normington

We're building a log cabin outside the house for music, and soon getting to the point where we need to install mains wiring. Can anyone tell me anything I might need to be aware of in placing the cables. I'm not sure how it works, but could it cause audible mains hum or ground loops, and if so what steps should I take to minimize the chances of this? Taking the cable around the top of the cabin rather than the bottom is an option (to keep it away from audio cables) - in fact it's a little easier to take it round the top than it is the bottom.

Thanks,
Andrew

ok norm.

one thing to remember is that any wiring work done now that is not certified and pat tested will make any isurance invalid should an electrical fault or fire take place. the regulations changed in the uk so be careful.

first you want a dedicated trip board for that section of mains input, this will protect you from shorts and faults and power spikes, this will also handle the mains distribution to as many sockets as you need.

if you are running the cable along the roofline or gables than buy some conduit, get some of the white pvc conduit that has a clip on and off face to it the whole length of the "u" channel conduit, this aids in inspection and futher cable runs. where ever you need to drop a socket you just fit a "T" piece inline of the conduit run and drop down with a section of thinner conduit and a plug socket finisher. label each socket to its corresponding trip on the board also.

if you do this then the cables are all no where near your audio cables.

sit down and try to draw up the layout of your equipment, list how many items will need power sockets. try and make a visualised drawing of who it may look in plan view" from the top down" and position the sockets in such a way, your audio cables can then be v-strap tied these are velcro reusable ties better than the plastic pull zip ties that you have to cut away.

also try to use ofc balanced audio cables where you can, if you buy cheap nasty audio cables then that will effect sn quality also.

i hope that helps start you off, i can put some links up for info on the trip distribution board, conduit and junctions if you want them.

You could also use A/C or M/C cable, which is a flexible meal conduit, and slot easier to word with than conduit. Plus it come with the cable already installed inside (vs pulling it through conduit) I would say the main thing would be sheilded cable. You should most likely use 12 gauge wire. And use a licences lectrician that knows what there doing. So you don't have to worry about I being done right, and trusting people on the Internet. Haha. But seriously just tell the electrician you wantthem to us a sheilded cable.

as per my post, the person who asked the question is in the united kingdom, i am in the united kingdom, i am also a qualified electrician, i am also certified for ful pat test andcertification sign off of installations.

the uk has different laws and regualtions regarding electrical instalations than the us. the information i have given the original poster is correct and follows uk regulations

Oh I wasn't saying what you said was incorrect. I know nothing about the regulations in the uk, just the us, I didn't even notice he or you was from the uk. I was basically just saying to get an electrician to do the work. And use sheilded cable. Conduit would be better, but felible metal conduit would be a lot easier. Sorry if you took that the wrong way.

not a problem young sir :D:D:D, i knew what you meant but it would have been confusing for him had he asked about doing it that way.

Back