Mains power cleaning

TornadoTed

I have never used any power conditioning just good quality multi IEC outputs and never had many problems. However in the last 6 months light bulbs have been blowing like crazy in the studio, it certainly shows that there is a problem with the incoming mains and I dread to think what it is doing to my equipment and the sound. I have read a little on the subject and have heard that the 4/6 way power strips with surge protection can affect transients and such like in your music as can UPS systems.

What do the World class facilities use to clean up their power? What are the things to look for?

Last edited:
IF you've got surge issues, first I would get a with an electrician to inspect your panel and wiring. Then, if you really do have surge issues (which I doubt, becuase the incandecent light bulb is pretty robust as compared to other typical studio equipment), you might check into the Transtector company. They have some reasonably priced products and they're well respected in surge protection field. They have whole panel protectors all the way down to sinle outlet and or telephone line protectors.

Good luck to you.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I have had all the electrics inspected and passed with a 100% bill of health by a qualified electrician recently.

Anyone know much about balanced power?

"can affect transients and such like in your music as can UPS systems"

is that a good or bad thing? i dont quite get it..

I recently read that a voltage monitoring UPS is the best way to go... it actually converts th A/C to DC (battery), then converts that back to pure A/C (electronic musician-latest issue)

??

I read an article somewherer that some UPS systems run at a lower voltage at times, sometimes up to half of the required voltge and that can seriously affect equipments performance. I can't remember where I read this, I wish I could as it was an interesting article, maybe I've remembered wrong but it strongly advised against UPS and 4/6 way surge protector power blocks for audio applications.

after referring to the site mentioned by punkin (Transtector.com) lots of reading there

--according to them the best setup would be a UPS with a SASD (Silicon Avalanche
Suppressor Diode) in front of it to block all transients.

Thanks for reading up...there's a whole industry built around the subject. When I was looking into it, I kept looking for the "plug-in" solutions but in the end, the easiest and most complete solution was a "whole-panel" approach. One device at the source and you're done with it.

Good luck.

which device do you use at the source... does it pop into the panel or is it inline with the wiring.

I dont have 'known' surge issues but i do live in an area with horrible power and am very interested in cleaning it up to the best of my abilities.

thanks

"What do the World class facilities use to clean up their power? What are the things to look for?"

The only way to insure "completely clean" power is to use voltage regulators & filters on the main power source or on the power runs going to feed a sub-panel powering your studio.

UPS simply monitor incoming power sources for transients and provides very fast switching to battery in the event that incoming voltage thresholds (under & over voltage) are exceeded. When the UPS switches over to batteries, it usually provides notification (LEDs on the front of the UPS) as well as an audiable switching (clicking &/or beeping) sound.

There is good power conditioning info here: http://www.controlledpwr.com/voltreg.htm

Last edited:
Topaz makes some great power conditioners. They are pretty pricey new but you can find great deals on Ebay or at local electronics salvage places.

Back