Magic Bullet Syndrome?

lastdays

Dude, I have to have that xxxxx for it shall complete me and I will be able to take over the world with it!!!!!

OK, maybe not. It seems that most people, particularly starting out (kinda like me ;) ) seem to latch onto individual pieces of gear that they think will mystically transform their humble home studios into hit making machines.

I have done this, have you?

Early on it was a rode nt1a, here lately it was a u87, but I think the point is that we all (hopefully) come to the place where we realize that no individual piece of gear "completes" anything. Ya, you could call this a subset of GAS, but what I am after is your Magic Bullet Syndrome story!!!!!!!

(BTW, I never ended up with an nt1a or a U87 FYI :D )

Also... yes I realize that there are some of you who claim to have never ever been affected by this sort of thing, thats fine, dont post then! :spank:

"Incremental"
I'm in an upgrading stage right now.
It gets in the way of recording but the fact is that it can be an indication of your own improvement.
I'm hearing little things that I want to fix and managing to do it.
You probably are too.

i always thought UAD cards would change the quality of my mixes.....and they did
I would think an fx card would hardly be a magic bullet, but I could be horribly wrong ;)

I'm hearing little things that I want to fix and managing to do it.
You probably are too.
I am beginning to hear some things, I wish the fixing of them was as easy as buying new gear ;)
I believe I am moving in the right direction as well, I make no claim to any speed though :D

I was very recently of the mindset that a nice preamp (as opposed to those built into my interface) would make a world of difference in my mixes... I now realize that if I dont have a decent grasp on how to mix I might as well be singing into a webcam mic :P

I would think an fx card would hardly be a magic bullet, but I could be horribly wrong ;)

tbh Sam I spent so much on the cards and plugs I am close to learning them inside out...I doubt Id have spent the same amount of time or cash on just VSTs

so maybe not "magic bullet" but "magic kick up the arse", you can hear the difference in between the two mixes when I bought them

When I switched from an Audigy to a Delta 44.... Fuck a bullet. That was a magic nuclear warhead.

I still like the delta period m audio interfaces...havent found a reason to upgrade yet

D112 was a magic bullet for the kick, and the Distressor is fuckin' awesome on just about everything I run through it. None of it helps my songwriting or playing any though. :/

Yep, I thought there were some quick and easy tricks that would save me a lot of effort starting out. I suppose every n00b gets fooled by the marketing hype.

I found the magic bullet was the difference in the artist that I record other than myself.
Same gear but different sources make one heck of a A/B scenario.

Yep, I thought there were some quick and easy tricks that would save me a lot of effort starting out. I suppose every n00b gets fooled by the marketing hype.
I love the people who post stuff like "what preset do I need to use in cubase to get perfect sparkly vocals?" but yes, I was there also.

If I didn't think something was gonna benefit my playing/recording/whatever, why would I buy it or pursue it???

If I didn't think something was gonna benefit my playing/recording/whatever, why would I buy it or pursue it???
The idea is that sometimes people (including myself) get some kind of unreasonable idea about how some specific something will benefit my playing/recording/whatever.

Back