Madness by Muse

I hesitate to call this a cover but it is an excellent recreation. Mix is very good imo, it matches the original pretty closely except for a few new touches like the panning on the background vox. Nice work!

I don't know the original (Not a fan of Muse) but this sound pretty good to me. Good balance on the instruments and vocals. Nothing screams "out of place".

Enjoyed the listen :thumbs up:

For the whole beginning before the ending's explosion you gotta work the way you record and treat this, in the song they used some crasy tricks to make it feel like the singer is speaking directly in your ears. Listen to the way you hear every mouth and throat sounds in the original. Your take is good but doesn't feel as close (distance-wise) as the original. Good job otherwise!

Last edited:
For the whole beginning before the ending's explosion you gotta work the way you record and treat this, in the song they used some crasy tricks to make it feel like the singer is speaking directly in your ears. Listen to the way you hear every mouth and throat sounds in the original. Your take is good but doesn't feel as close (distance-wise) as the original. Good job otherwise!

Do you know what tricks they used to do it? I wish I could get that in-your-face sound but im not sure how to get it...

this is great - nice work! i'm feeling some Prince (someone will call me out on that, for sure). i'd like to hear more of this stuff from ya, great job. as mentioned above, nothing seems out of place at all. very well put together.

Do you know what tricks they used to do it? I wish I could get that in-your-face sound but im not sure how to get it...

Im no expert but objectively speaking i'd ask myself, how does a sound sound when its close to the hear? More low end of course, more clarity too, not sure the way it would affect dynamics but i'd say very loud yet very dynamic at the same time. Probly recorded pretty close to the mic asking the singer to control the distance he has from the input transducer so he doesn't get in the vibe and step back from a feet... Honestly Muse's second law is like a 1 millions prod album or more so it wouldn't be a surprise if they had some even more nipty little tricks

I've been listening to the original version since hearing yours. What a great song! And how come I never heard of it, or them? Guess I'm getting old. You've done a very good recreation. The polish and immediacy of Muse's version is probably hard to achieve that in a home studio, but is something to aspire to.

Thanks for all the encouraging comments!

@vigo: I'll try to play around with some more eq and compression and see what I can do

That does sound closer, but the voice has a grating edge that wasn't there before. The vocal isn't sitting in the mix as well.

Man, you have a great voice.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I may have gone a bit overboard with the high end EQ. I will touch that up tonight and post it up again. I appreciate the compliment. It took me 8 years of vocal training to get to this point though.

Very good. You got rid of some of that upper mid-range harshness. Your vocal is sitting in the mix better. Hope you'll take a moment to listen to some of the tracks people have posted at the Clinic and offer your feedback.

Back