Macromedia Flash Band Sites SUCK...

...c'mon folks...who's with me on this one? I can't stand them....cryptic, esteroic menus flying everywhere dodging my mouse clicks and too much stuff going on and I have no idea how to easily navigate to the music. Whatever happened to hierarchial menus? Who else absolutely HATES these sites and who can we shoot who makes these things? I mean if you have to put an option to "Skip Into" on the "into page" or whatever...isn't that just a waste of time...what am I gonna do...sit there all day and watch it or go to a website because it just looks so "'leet"? No. I am there for quick and easy to find information. Isn't that what the web is all about? I am officially uninstalling Macromedia Flash and if a band insists on going that route strictly, then I guess I'll just have to be one less user to see their site.

Flash enabled sites that make it hard to find the music are one thing but the bigger bugger I've also ran into are sites that automatically load their music without any player or volume controls and most of the time, I'm already listening to some sort of music on Windows Media player before I enter any website so then I get a weird mix of whatever I'm listening to mixed with the Flash music playing. Gawd I hate that!

I also see Flash animation is now the new software being used to annoy the piss out of folks on Yahoo. Anyway...that's my rant. Who else agrees that Flash enabled site have gotten wayyy out of hand?

Definitely agree with you. I'm a fan of keeping it simple with just enough graphics to make it look nice, but nothing more. No flash, no embedded music. If someone wants to listen they'd click on a link. Flash websites are usually done pretty poorly.

someone has to keep all those flash programmers employed... now that Adobe has taken over we should expect this to be taken to the next level in ease of development and even wider deployments...

if a flash or other macromedia site is done well, it can be very cool, but if you leave the design of the site in the hands of a programmer instead of a site designer, you'll end up with all the crap they can possible throw into it...

what I really love are the sites that blast their music without giving you the option to turn it off or down (since what are the chances you'll have music playing while surfing the web...)

Flash certainly had its creative and functional uses, but I've seen more poorly done sites in Flash than good ones. I do hate being blasted with music when I get to a site too - especially with no type of volume control. I've used Flash here and there (for a customized audio player for example), but still haven't really been drawn to doing an entire site in it.

Intros are...well...dumb. A lot of times I see them used to maybe do a special presentation for a new CD or song, etc., but does this really need to be done? Most of the time the new music starts blasting before I can click the "skip intro" text! We need Flash reform! Well, OK, too late to change the Web now.

as long as they provide a "skip intro" feature i'm ok with it... i hate it when people try to make you sit through their epic 5 minute intro into a meaningless web site... usually no "skip" button means i'm leaving...

I HATE flash websites.. i actually went to a company website the other day and as the flash loaded it said "please allow 3-5 minutes for website to load over a dial-up connection". I don't have dialup (nor should anyone), but still, it drove me nuts.

To me being forced to watch those flash intros or waiting for a flash site to load is like going to a store to shop (or even browse) and being told that you have to watch what the store owner feels is a cool looking video (and wait while it rewinds) before you can enter the store and do what you are there to do.

I don't know about you, but it seems like bad business to me.

Amra

I am a web designer and I have to agree with you, BUT I do like using flash whenever I get the chance, you can do so much more with it. Check this out, its simple and easy, but its flash. It even has a tiny intro in the upper left hand corner, but you don't have to wait for it because you are already on the index page.

http://www.harthosp.org/plrc/

I guess what I am saying is, you can use flash to make cool useable sites without all that bad navigation and annoying "flashiness".

I'm with you, I hate it! :mad:

If I don't see the option to skip it on a site I'll usually leave.

Only stupid idiots would put that crap on a site without the option to skip it.

Back