Mackie Onyx

radiologic

Hi everyone,
I'm planning to do a lot of home recording and live sound.
So I want to buy a mixer that is good for both occasions. I've used
the mackie onyx 1640. I love the whole firewire option and the fact that its really good for live sound. Im looking on doing more simple recording maybe 8channel max so I was looking into the 1620i. Its more portable and still the same features. Now due to my lack of experience I was wondering if there was something that does the similar and cost about the same or even less.

Thanks.

there are bunches (& bunches) of things that do 'similar' and cost less & more

without inducing complete sticker heart attack shock

a decent price range goes from Zoom R16 to A&H zed R16

I think the A&H is better then either the Mackie or the Zoom, but don't own zed R16 yet and do have an Onyx 1202 with f/w and a Zoom R16 (do have A&H GL2800, like separate mic and line options (as opposed to Neitrik combo, but then for some things I like the combo jacks), think A&H edges Mackie on both pre's & EQ (with Mackie EQ being miles beyond Zoom), on an entry level mixer I think A&H faders are probably the best I've used, but like the D-sub25 direct outs on Mackie . . . and a console light for the A&H is just stupidly expensive (and you need two), Zoom's monitoring options are less then thorough for live shows w/o adding problematic additional gear . . . problematic as one of the Zoom's best selling points is what it can do for its size, oh & to be clear I do not particularly like the Zed r16 faders, one of the reasons I have not picked one up yet . . . and waiting to see street price on R24)

You can easily be happy with the Mackie, might find the A&H to be too expensive for your revenue thread and Zoom not a robust enough marketing tool . . .

Back