mackie onyx-i lag

tc4b

Yeah I been drinkin, SO!?
I have a noticeable lag recording with my mackie onyx 820i. I have recorded many times with this successfully, this lag is a recent thing. I can't tell you what exactly changed since I last recorded successfully (what software installed, etc.) because it's been awhile since I've had time to get into the studio. Just, it used to work.

First thing I did was reduce the size of buffers as low as possible, but it was still there. Less noticeable, but there. But, like I said, used to work just fine with the factory defaults.

I'm using winXP sp2 on a core 2 duo with 2gb ram (using reaper). It's downgraded from Vista because i used to use a device (the digi 001) that couldn't play nice with Vista. I know I should be using ASIO drivers, but can't tell if I am or not (the ignorance of the self-taught). It says the drivers are by LOUD Technologies. I'm using the universal PC driver from the mackie site, v1.9. I've uninstalled and re-installed it, no luck.

My inclination is that something is messed up with my PC, and that I should reformat and start fresh, maybe with the factory version of Vista that came with my computer, now that I'm no longer nursing the 001. Before I do this, any advice?

Thanks for any help.

edit: tried a driver called 'asio4all,' only gave me two channels and couldn't hear a sound recording.

edit: tried to install drivers from physical CD that came in the box, it told me "please plus in your device before continuing with installation." It's plugged in. I can consistently get the "found new hardware" dialogue from windows

Last edited:
Back