MACKIE Onyx 1640

Audio Monk

Does anyone have one?

Please tell us about it, I was going to get the alesis muti mix 16 "firewire"
until i read some reviews on how the software drivers doesn't work.

I'm wondering how the mackie Onyx holds up

Audio Monk

I recently picked one up along with the firewire option, and I am happy that I did. I had to record my brother in law's band live.

Take Care,
Gene

gbacklin said:
I recently picked one up along with the firewire option, and I am happy that I did. I had to record my brother in law's band live.

Take Care,
Gene

wow, that sounds awsome. very clear, sounds like you used 8 channels on the drums, very clear and crisp. what software did you use to record and mix?

and did you have any driver problems, delay problems, or anytihng?

anything else you can tell me about it?

i'm on a very low budget and the 1640 with the firewire will eat up, well all of it. thanks

Audio Monk

Audio Monk said:
wow, that sounds awsome. very clear, sounds like you used 8 channels on the drums, very clear and crisp. what software did you use to record and mix?

and did you have any driver problems, delay problems, or anytihng?

anything else you can tell me about it?

i'm on a very low budget and the 1640 with the firewire will eat up, well all of it. thanks

Audio Monk

Thanks,

To track the music, I used the software that came with the firewire card Tracktion 2.

I sent this all to a firewire drive. After the gig was over, I hooked the drive up to my ProTools system and did all the work within ProTools LE.

Realistically you could do this with a simple MBox 2, because you would not be using the MBox 2 for tracking, that would be the Mackie. You would be using the MBox 2 just for the use of ProTools LE. That would go easy on your budget.

Since this was live and all tracks were recorded at the same there were no delay problems.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask away ;)

Take Care,
Gene

You can plug the Onyx 1640 right into a firewire hard drive without a computer?

then plug the Fire wire hard drive into your computer and dl the work?

Did i hear this right?

That's kewl.

Thank you for your help. It's looking more and more like l need to save my money and buy a onyx 1640, a firewire hd and protools.

is protools too advanced for a noob or is it learnable?

oh yea, whats a mbox 2?

Audio Monk

Audio Monk said:
You can plug the Onyx 1640 right into a firewire hard drive without a computer?

then plug the Fire wire hard drive into your computer and dl the work?

Did i hear this right?

That's kewl.

Thank you for your help. It's looking more and more like l need to save my money and buy a onyx 1640, a firewire hd and protools.

is protools too advanced for a noob or is it learnable?

oh yea, whats a mbox 2?

Audio Monk

No, I'm sorry if I misled you....Here is the chain.....

Laptop ->Connection A of Firewire Drive.
1640->Connection B of Firewire Drive.

Tracktion 2 Software to Record.

The MBox 2 is by Digidesign.....
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?body=/products/mbox2

It runs between $400-500.

ProTools is not difficult to learn and there are many good learning aids out there. The mechanics of it are rather quickly grasped, then begins the learning to be a good engineer that is the real work. That is a forever learning process ;)

Take Care,
Gene

Take Care,
Gene

Back