Mackie Onyx 1620, analog recording (cassette)

ed_rudy

I have a Mackie Onyx 1620 for small shows at bars, looking to make some analog recordings of my band. Whats a good cassette recorder I can use with it? Yes, I know it has a fire wire option to record digital, but I'm not a big digital fan.

Found a cd release of a cassette recording of a band The Bellrays, they made a INCREDIBLE live recording in a 15x15 practice room on a Sansui WS-X1, 6 track recorder. I don't know how they got such a killer sound on cassette.

Is there something decent that will work with my Mackie or should I just try to find a deal on one of those portable studio recorders that are pretty cheap right now (Tascam 488MK II, etc.)

Ed

I have a Mackie Onyx 1620 for small shows at bars, looking to make some analog recordings of my band. Whats a good cassette recorder I can use with it? Yes, I know it has a fire wire option to record digital, but I'm not a big digital fan.

Found a cd release of a cassette recording of a band The Bellrays, they made a INCREDIBLE live recording in a 15x15 practice room on a Sansui WS-X1, 6 track recorder. I don't know how they got such a killer sound on cassette.

Is there something decent that will work with my Mackie or should I just try to find a deal on one of those portable studio recorders that are pretty cheap right now (Tascam 488MK II, etc.)

Ed

Cassettes running at double speed with noise reduction (like on a decent four-track) can have excellent fidelty. There is no shortage of analog vs digital threads; this does not need to be another. Suffice it to say that you can make an excellent record with a 4-tracker PROVIDED you are not going to bounce tracks around. If you bounce tracks, the noise will build up and the fidelity will drop quickly.

If you can record everything in a minimum of takes on no more than four tracks, I'd argue that the 4-track cassette would sound as good or better than any digital machine, provided you mix it down to something decent (not another cassette). Say, a CD recorder or decent soundcard. You will have to make it digital at some point, right?

Cassettes have a sound to them - it may work for you or not. I used to use them. I now have a couple of reel-to-reel decks that I sometimes use, but frankly, my recordings are BY FAR most impacted by mic selection and placement.

:)

I know you said cassettes what about a tascam 388 itll have a much better quality as cassettes werent really made for quality more for portability. Well I dont know to much so listen to the otheres :p

Ed

The 488, especially the MKII is capable of some scary good recordings. I'd say pick one up....even better, see if you can find a 688.:cool:

Thanks for the info! The Mic selection and placement comment is well noted and I'm sure true, of course analog can make killer recordings. Thats how they did it back in the day and still do it today, but not here to argue that either.

Yes the analog recording will have to be converted to digital for the virtual mp3 download world, cd's sales on my record label have dropped and now people are only asking for vinyl (Digital,,,get over it it's here to stay?:confused:?) Yes, it is here but even cd's are on their way out. I still like removable media and warm analog recordings even if they start analog and are converted, some the flavor is still there.

The Tascam 388 is too heavy but would be cool. I see the Black Keys even use one for recordings.

Obviously someone helping The Bellrays band make that recording on a Sansui 6 track new what he was doing (mic selection and placement). It also goes to show you can spend a ton of cash to get crystal clear sound and loose all the vibe and feeling of what can be recorded on inexpensive analog equipment.

Ed:)

Back