mackie mr5's

I know this is an incredibly old thread, not to mention being one i started, BUT

Anyone care to chime in? As my ears are developing a little more, and I'm recieving feedback on my mixes, I think it's time to move up from crappy pc surround speakers. The mr5's are juuuust about as much as I want to spend at the moment, due to a nice fat check coming at the end of the month (part of which is going into some upgrades for my pc)

What I'd really like to know is, how's the low end?

It seems my mixes sound GREAT on my speakers, but when they're played on other systems the low end is just pitiful (thanks tons to GregL for pointing this out. I listened to that stuff in the car and I now understand exactly what you were talking about.), so I'm thinking i need something with less of a boost and a little more clarity on the lows.

I have a pair of these, and they sound great. I love them. Very neutral sounding. They actually represent the lows pretty well for the size, but I ocaasionally use mine along with a sub to hear the super lows. You'll get a much better mix using these, rather than computer speakers. I think these are the best choice for the price range.

If you have access to Tape Op mag, you'll find a review from earlier this year. Rave review, writer decided to buy the pair for wife's small studio.

Edit: in Tape Op, Sept/Oct 2008

Last edited:
sweet, thanks guys. I had heard a pair before quite a long while ago and quite honestly liked them over everything else in the price range, but don't remember exactly how they sounded, and will probably check them out in store again if i get a chance but after reading all the great reviews i have, i'll probably wind up with 'em.

If I were searching for monitors, I'd probably pick up a pair of the MR5 and a pair of the new JBL LSR2325P, also under $200 a box. I've found that comparing monitors in my own studio space, rather than in a store, is worth the bit of extra time and expense.

Back