Mackie MDR and SDR discontinued?

Jamie Jukosky

Hi all,
I was talking to a equipment dealer just the other day and they said the Mackie MDR was discontinued (which I knew) and that the Mackie SDR was soon to be discontinued (which I didn't know). As I was looking to buy one of these I was kind of disappointed. Does anybody know about the problems with these units and are they a lot less reliable than the Alesis HD recorder?

Nothing is wrong with them, they work absolutely well
well the MDR does, the SDR has had a few bugs, that I think were worked out, so it's fine too, but if you were to purchase one I'd say go for the MDR.

with that said, they sold well for it's time 2 1/2 years ago, I know I bought the MDR, but with DAW systems handling a lot most people just chose the stay with that.

(As I sold my MDR because it didnt capture anything different and is growing to extinction like the ADATS)

Dont get me wrong it's a great unit to have, and is solid, it's just to each his own, I use DP3, MOTU 2408MKII and can do exactly the same thing.

If you find one, good luck, but also note, they will be the next generation ADATS in about 3 more years

As M noted, the MDR is officially discontinued. There is some debate (but nothing official that I am aware of) about the fate of the SDR.

I recently purchased an MDR at a stock clearance sale for $900 and I love it. As long as I can get hard drives for it I think it will do the job for me just fine.

Have you perused the discussion forum over at mackie.com? There are a lot of users out there and most of them are happy with the performance of any of the recorders. There are a few minor issues with each one, but nothing that has been a death sentence. I think the real issue is with Mackie and the unknown direction they intend to go with their recording product line.

Hope this is helpful.

Darryl.....

Back