Mackie HR824s

EveningSky

I would appreciate words of guidance on the subject of monitor speakers.
I am using these monitor speakers to mix and master.
I am constantly striving to make better recordings.
How does the readership perceive these speakers in terms of quality.
Would I mix and master better with more expensive monitor speakers?
Should I better invest in my room accoustics first?
How are the new generation of digital speakers with room calibration software and hardware? Is this a partial substitute for suboptimal room accoustics?
Thank you,
Yours,
ES

I have the 824s and have used then for some seven years now. I love them and they work fantastic for me. Placed properly within a good room, there's no reason why they should not do the same for you.

If your room is lacking treatment or is improperly treated, or even if your monitor placement within the room is wrong, you're far better off concentrating on those aspects of your monitoring chain than you are the monitors themselves. Even Adams or Genlecs twice the price of the 824s are not going to serve you well if your room is cramping their style.

G.

EveningSky said:
Would I mix and master better with more expensive monitor speakers? Should I better invest in my room accoustics first?

Glenn gave you the right advice. Those Mackies are fabulous speakers, but without bass traps and other acoustic treatment you will never realize their full potential. Listening to good loudspeakers in an untreated room is like watching HD television through eyeglasses smeared with peanut butter and jelly. :D

--Ethan

SouthSIDE Glen said:
I have the 824s and have used then for some seven years now. I love them and they work fantastic for me. Placed properly within a good room, there's no reason why they should not do the same for you.

If your room is lacking treatment or is improperly treated, or even if your monitor placement within the room is wrong, you're far better off concentrating on those aspects of your monitoring chain than you are the monitors themselves. Even Adams or Genlecs twice the price of the 824s are not going to serve you well if your room is cramping their style.

G.
absolutely...

specifically... Placed properly within a good room

... and with a well defined near field area

had mine for seven years also

Ethan Winer said:
Listening to good loudspeakers in an untreated room is like watching HD television through eyeglasses smeared with peanut butter and jelly.
Uh oh...Ethan, does this mean I should not eat the Windex sandwich I just made???

;) :D

G.

Back