Mackie HR824mkii vs Yamaha HS80M

itsme1234

Hi. I currently own a pair of Wharfedale 8.2a diamond monitors. My mixes have been coming out horribly when played back on other systems, and i am beginning to think it's my monitors.

Was thinking it was time for an upgrade. Everyone raves about the yamahas, but i see all the serious studios with the mackies.

Obviously the price is also a huge difference so i was wondering if the extra cost was worth annihilating my wallet over.

My studio is not acoustically treated but i notice that both of these monitors seem to have some controls for such environments unlike my current monitors.

Anyone's input and personal experience / comparisons to all 3.

Last edited:
While I agree with the previous post, a good, transparent set of monitor speakers with high definition is also a must. To give you an idea of how accurate HS80M's are, here's an enlightening story about purchasing my pair of them a while back.

After listening to EVERY monitor in the (nameless) large music store, I happily sauntered home with my new purchase, the clarity of which put to shame all contenders up to double or triple their price. When I got them home, hooked up and played them, though, I was positively crestfallen when I immediately noticed a harshness in the high end. I noticed a similar scratchiness with the second and third selection even though the material was of widely variying genre from Bach to Jazz and Rock. I was really getting depressed and ready to take them back when I put on the fourth selection, a finely recorded classical piece. I was elated when I once again heard the overall smoothness and, in particular, the naturalness of the high end that I had just heard in the store.

Amazingly, these monitors did exactly what I was hoping - they truely resolved the source material and persented to me flaws in recordings that I had missed because I had been listening to them through speakers of inadequate resolution. I just hadn't realized how MUCH I'd been missing!

PS: I don't work for any music store or audio manufacturer.

Thanks for your story soundobsessed. I heard nothing but praise over the HS80M's and I know they got to be worlds better then what I have now.

And youre correct witzendoz. My room isnt acoustically treated...yet. But I didnt want to start working on the treatment until I got a better pair of speakers. Would almost make no sense to treat to my wharefdales and then retreat once I got the new pair. But an untreated room is definitely going to play a huge role in false interpretation.

I believe I will do a few bass traps and some foam here and there. Nothing too drastic as I may be moving house soon. I am actually looking into slight acoustical room treatments and IK Multimedia's Arc plugin to help out as well.

ANyway, that being said...i placed an order for the HS80M's. Got a deal I couldnt pass up. I feel I made the right choice. Thanks for your help guys! Will let you know how they sound once i get em.

Back