Mackie HR824 woofers

noisewreck

Does anyone know if the woofers can be successfully replaced on the HR824s? Is it something that I could do by myself or should I have it done by techs only?

Let's just say my 1.5 year old did a number on them. :o

I've never taken my 824s apart, but I can't imagine there'd be anything much more difficult than removing the six hex screws on the front of the woofer's frame and then un-hooking the two wires connecting it up. If you have the right size allen wrench and can solder a couple of wires (if they even need to be soldered, IDK) you should be OK.

Full Compass sells the Mackie-branded replacements for $80 each.

Supposedly they are actually OEMd by a company called Vifa and sold from there as the Vifa P22WP-01 for about half that price, but I have never actually been able to find such a speaker on the Vifa website.

G.

Last edited:
Please do not settle for "any old woofer" that will fit the cutout in the box. The speaker specs (sensitivity, resonant frequency, etc.) must be correctly matched for the monitor. Otherwise it will sound entirely different, and wrong. The woofer is matched to the tweeter based on the volume of each and the box dimensions are designed around that woofer based on it's specific performance specs.

Please buy the correct recommended replacement component. The one Glen points to may be correct. (I don't know.) A quickie email to Mackie tech support may clear it up for you.

Please buy the correct recommended replacement component. The one Glen points to may be correct. (I don't know.) A quickie email to Mackie tech support may clear it up for you.
There's almost no question that Mackie itself does not make the woofer, that they buy it from an OEM (it may or may not be one that they own). Which almost certainly means if you can find the right OEM and the right speaker that it would be cheaper that way than it would be getting it through Mackie.

But Raw Depth is right; I wouldn't trust the information I gave you about the Vifa speaker as is, as I got that from an anonymous forum post elsewhere, and have not been able to verify it. And we all know just how reliable these forums can be in getting accurate information :rolleyes: I in fact couldn't even find the Vifa speaker in question. Unless you don't mind paying the $80 each for the Mackie-branded replanements, I'd research thoroughly, and start by finding an authorized Mackie repair shop or two and asking them (Mackie themselves will be interested in selling you their own model number.)

Now that I'm looking at my 824s in daylight, it looks like you might have to remove the whole central woofer/tweeter assembly from the box, as it looks like that front plate might actually be all one piece. Then once you have that out, it'd probably just a matter of unscrewing the woofer from that assembly via some internal screws. At least that's my best guess.

When you ask the repair guys about the replacement speaker, you can ask about that too.

G.

Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, I definitely will replace them with exact same woofers. Glen, the woofers you linked to look like are for the MKII? Unless Mackie uses the same woofers for the originals and the MKIIs :confused: Anyways, I'll definitely call Mackie support to see what I can do... It's been crazy at work, so no time to deal with personal stuff during business hours.

Back