Mackie HR824 mk2 vs HR624

axeman_ukl

i am torn between these have not had a chance to hear them at the shop going this weekend ,is room size an issue with the hr824 my room is 10x10 i know not ideal but its heaverly treated.

don't want to spend more than i have to and have something that will be too powerful for the room.

also are the 824's worth the extra £240 over its smaller brother ?

or is there another make which is as good or better for the same price ?

The 824's will give you greater low end depth...but they may be overkill for a 10'x10' room.
IOW...you may not want that much low end extension in that room as it may just cause problems for you.

thats what i was worried about the shop that has them has them pointed down the lenght of the shop so plenty of space(not like my tiny room)

is there any others that might do better for my size room ?

i am curently using yamaha sp3's

are the 824's worth the extra £240 over its smaller brother ?

For stereo playback I prefer full-range speakers that do not require a subwoofer. So I'd get the 824s. I see no advantage to smaller speakers that simply hide the lowest frequencies. And the 824s have LF switches to roll off higher if you really want that. Yes, your room's shape and small size are a problem, so fix the room with bass traps. Plus, good speakers are an investment. Someday you'll move, and you'll be glad you paid the difference for larger speakers.

That said, I have 624s for the surround system in my living room home theater because I have a killer sub. But a home theater needs a sub. Stereo does not.

--Ethan

Yeah...Ethan is right.
I forgot to mention the LF rolloff switch on th 824s.

I have the 824s and really love them.

went today and was blown away with the focal cms50's got a really good price on them.
shop let me try them at home in my room,now thats customer service.
bought mine today wont be able to pick them up till saturday but have the shops demo pair on loan till then .:D

Back