Mackie dbx-200 vs DMX-R100 (sound)

Anthony

8-bit gen. (Volken)
'
Anyone had first hand experience on Mackie dbx-200?

Somehow I've missed this thing, I'll make it on my list of things to do at MM Frankfurt show.

But it has settled right into the price category of recent Sony DMX-R100 value (1994), I always recommended R100 in this range, because I really believe it is achievement to say least how charming sounding this console is.

Mackie has landed some High End visual appearance with this dual screen touching concept,refreshed specs, but the bottom line for me is How does this thing sound compared to Sony and competition in this price range?

Hmmm,...perhaps Blue Bear Sound has heard this Mackie, that would be valuable input since, if I'm not mistaking he is actively using R100?

I'v heard the Mackie D8B and was not impressed, and it's nowhere in the league of the Sony. But I've not heard the X200.... The things that made me not consider it in favour of the DMXR100:

1- The Sony has rave and glowing reviews from all sources that I read or people I've talked to, including some very-respected AE's. It is widely used in the high-end production houses all over the world and is considered an excellent-sounding console. The Mackie has not been getting any such accolades from any source that I can find.

2- While the Mackie is pretty to look at, it still seems to have the Mackie "stigma." They were never known for their preamps and there's no reason to beleive the ones on the board are any different (and I used to use a Mackie 8-buss, but rarely ever used the on-board pres!)

3- More Mackie stigma -- I think in marketing themselves as a manufacturer of high-quality but project-studio oriented gear, Mackie shut themselves out of ever being taken seriously by the professional market. Even for such an obviously higher-grade console such as the R200, I don't see many production places adopting it or even planning to as their next upgrade. On the other hand - it may simply be that it's too new and people are still mulling over their options!

But I too, would be curious to hear from anyone who's had a chance to work with both consoles and get their opinion........

Blue Bear Sound said:
I'v heard the Mackie D8B and was not impressed, and it's nowhere in the league of the Sony. But I've not heard the X200.... The things that made me not consider it in favour of the DMXR100:
But I too, would be curious to hear from anyone who's had a chance to work with both consoles and get their opinion........

Mackie D8B for me was huge disappointment, in fact I was in the middle of the quarrel with two dealers who were in verbal fight whether Tascam TDM-8000 (hope I wrote exact model) and D8B offer better preamps in contrast to Yamaha upper digital range.

I always had one problem with Mackie, very non-acoustic-friendly treatment of anything behind microphone, naturally this is just how my ears value this, others might not feel the same.

After spoiling my ears with Big analog consoles first digital thing that really moved me was late CS2000 (Euphonix) I've sold the same to my friend but I still use it often and for me it is a desert island console,...and the first time I've heard Sony...R100, I felt this is it!

You might afford better and bigger, but with this model, certain unquestionable qualitative level has been reached , where affordable digital super sounding desk was ho longer a mere declaration, but really, really a complete and realistic product. One that can be used without any hesitation or reservation for entire recording, with full sonic confidence.

Even industrial design and shape is so well integrated into synergy with functionality.

When I look at latest SSL AWS 900, one can certainly see how Sony is complimented by some very, very, similar looking areas, and some have been literally pasted on this console. They really do share more then accidental visual similarities, don't you think?

But, then again, someone fell in love with Axiom look when drawing first sketches of R100, so circle is complete :)

I mentioned X200 because it raises question of value?
Mackie now (and I say lets give them some credit before we actually hear X200) claims that preamps have been totally redesigned (new Burr-Brown PGA-2500) and might this offer at least some glimpse of more substantial quality of this weak link for Mackie so far?

I hope so, because the price is flirting with serious competition out there.

Blue Bear Sound said:
http://buytape.seagate.com/But I too, would be curious to hear from anyone who's had a chance to work with both consoles and get their opinion........

Today while ordering some backup tapes (DDS4) spoke
with dealer friend who works at one of largest store in Germany.

It seems I'm not rare with this question, because the moment they placed dbx200 in their monthly catalogue, many customers wanted t know how does it compare to Sony.

They no longer have Sony (all sold) but they did a small sound check dbx200 vs. 02R96 and DM-2000 V2.

He claims that preamps are better and compares well with 02R96, but dynamics are not in the league of DM-2000, Perhaps, not fair comparison since there is more then difference in price, while 02 share almost exact price.

But, I mention DM-2000 because he said one of the customers replaced Sony with new DM-2000 V2, and while more powerful in I/O (onboard) and some refined areas, he said that he feels Sony sounded more musical after all.

So I guess dbx-200 vs. Sony is not quite fair after all ;)
Blue Bear, nothing to worry about ;)

@Anthony = myself, correction/edit.

I guess by mention of late Euphonix I've made even higher compliment to Sony, since failed to more concretely describe the same : Digitally controlled but analog in essence. (Digitally controlled analog mixing system)

Back