Mackie CR-1602

guitarfreak12

I have a friend who can sell me a mackie cr-1602, the gains are on the back with the xlr's it looks like, what's up with this, is this a pre-japan mackie, and if so, is it a good version?

yes I am, sorry, I couldn't remember. That's a good thing, the pre-japan ones are good. Except for the gain pots thing, but for the price I can deal with it

Assuming you don't mean a CR1604-VLZ, CR-1604 pres suck, IMHO. The difference between my 1604 pres and my Peavey PV8 pres (or even my M-Audio FW1814 or Presonus FirePod Pres) is the difference between mud and bright, glittering gold.

Seriously, if you really need that many channels for live mixing or something, go for it. If you're doing this for recording, though, save your money and buy a Peavey PV14.

If you can find the roto-pod hardware you can flip those gain pots around to the front (along with the XLR jacks of course).

I owned three of the original CR-1604's and they are actually pretty solid mixers in my opinion. That said, I did need to send one back in for servicing. The one I gave my brother also needed some repair, but that was when it was about 8-9 years old.

If it's working well and has no obvious problems it could be a good buy if the price is right.

Also, the newer Mackie stuff is made in China, not Japan.

Back