Mackie as pre-amp

cjmusicman

OK I bought a mackie 1202 vlz mixer basically as a pre-amp to mic vocals & guitar & record them on my BR-8 recorder.

The ultimate "newbie" idiot question..??

I see where the mic hooks up, but where do I go "out from the mixer to my BR-8" recorder??

And do I go into the mic input on my recorder or the line-in??

Please help.

Obviously, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

thanks,

cj

Hmmm... Mackie manuals are pretty comprehensive... did you want me to type it here in it's entirety for you, or do you want just read the one that came with your mixer????

Bruce

OK, how about this. I go from the RCA "tape out" on the Mackie to the RCA "line-in" on the BR-8.

Is this OK, or would some other path work better.

Thanks,

cj

You could use your "buss" outs or your main outs{L/R} or you could tap your inserts..go into the line and not the mic ins of your recorder...Good luck

Don

It's STILL completely described in the manual!

I'll even TELL you the pages - pictures and everything! Hookup diagrams on pages 6 thru 9.
Detailed explanations on pages 10 thru 17....

Bruce

I have to agree with Bruce, the Mackie 1202 manual is about as newbie friendly as they come. So make sure you read it cover to cover. I'm serious there's lots of good stuff in there and its a good place to start. There are a few different outs you could use, I guess the RCA would work. I have my alt 3-4 going to my sound card so if I want to record a source that is plug into a channel on the 1202 all I have to do is send it to alt 3-4, no re-patching required. My main outs go to my amp for monitoring playback. Again there are different options so pick the one that works for you.

I read through the manual for the SR24-4. It was hilarious. They'd crack jokes and it just made it a good read. It was also extremely useful. Read the manual.

The Pod has a pretty funny manual too.

baldguy said:
I read through the manual for the SR24-4. It was hilarious. They'd crack jokes and it just made it a good read. It was also extremely useful. Read the manual.

The Pod has a pretty funny manual too.

Mackie's website is pretty funny as well. For instance on the 1604 page they claim the Rude Solo light doubles as a mini tanning booth.

I'm a technical writer, and I have used Mackie manuals to check my work frequently. They just nail the audience and tone perfectly, and they do an amazing job.

Don, So one can 'tap' a signal from the insert?

I was also wondering how to use a mixer as a preamp for multiple channels to feed my D1600. Our mixer is an old piece of shit EV 12-Track and I dont have a manual or much experience to go on here (neither does anyone else in our deadbeat band)

So far I've have had to work with

1. the monitor mix,
2. the 1 aux send,
3. two 'sub mix' faders

for a total of 4 discreet output channels that I can use to feed the 4 non XLR inputs on the D1600. BUT...I would much prefer to just feed each channel off the mixer via 'tapping' the insert. Ill have to give this a try.

This is the kind of stuff I like! I learn something new here everyday.

The insert works fine but it's unbalanced if that's o.k.

If you plug your cord in all the way you tap the pre amp from the main mix.

If you plug in half way you can get the signal there and still get it at the main outs,control room outs,and tape outs at the same time.

Check the manual out on this they give you pictures and everything!

Good luck,
Pete

Mike

When you use the inserts as direct outs you are bypassing EQ, faders etc. The insert point is directly after the preamp. This can be a good thing at times, but if for example you are recording live, then you're taking the inserts away from your gates/comps etc. and unless you can return from the recorder, the signal won't continue any further through your mixer.

Direct outs are a totally separate output for your individual chanels.

Some mixers (like the Soundcraft M series) let you switch the direct outs between pre and post fader/eq.

Mark

Back