Mackie 808m/Rehearsal PA setup question

fris9

I made the mistake (long ago) of buying speakers that aren't matched well for my Mackie 808m powered mixer, JBL Sf25. I'm trying to figure out my best move to try and get vocals to cut through more than they are now. To be clear, this isn't for a club or gigs, strictly for rehearsal, but it seems pointless to have the monstrosity of the Dual 15's when I can't even push them. I know a 12" is a better suited speaker, but I'm also trying to not spend too much, i.e. sell my JBL's for a couple hundred a piece (hopefully) and use that to buy new speakers that are suited for the Mackie. The other option I see which may be cheaper, is to buy a power amp to push the mains louder to where they need to be. Opinions on which way to go, which speakers would be a good fit?

I'd keep the speakers and sell the Mackie and buy a non-powered mixer and some power amps. Powered mixers are great if you work as a barker in a carnival or if you are a bingo caller but they suck for bands.

On stage you're going to hear yourself through wedges, so rehearse through wedges. Also, control your stage volume. You can have the biggest amp on the planet but if your stage volume is out of control you still won't get your vocals to cut through. Besides, JBL is a good brand but their entry level stuff like Sound Factor doesn't sound particularly good.

Back