Mackie 24-8 Pres; Can I get more under $800?

moelar2

I've spent all morning researching this question on this forum, but all I've read is gossyp! =) So here's my lingering question:

I have a mackie 24-8. I think the strip is more than descent, even though many would jump at the opportunity to disagree. In fact, I'd dare say that I really like the EQ on my board. What I like best is that I paid $750 for it and it was in PERFECT condition with a 90 day repair shop warranty.

I have a GHOST TB101 Mic pre. A friend swore by it, so I bought it. It sounds cool. The problem is that I'm one of those guys who uses gear because that's what he bought it for. For example, I have not tracked vocals through my mackie because I have the TB101 (which I bought for like $150 as a "nicer" mic pre before I bought the 24-8) and I HAVE TO use the thing because I have it. I'm an idiot that way. Anyway, I was looking into the Aphex 207. Another friend is zealously advocating the Eureka, but I haven't read any consistent good things here, but I've read a ton of negative things about, yet many are from people who don't own the unit.

So the bottomline question is this: Will I get any significant step up from my mackie 24-8 with any unit under $800? I typically use a Blue Bluebird or NT2 to track vocals. The idea I'm contemplating now is to buy 2 Eurekas and use them as overhead pres.

Some have suggested the brick, mindprint, ART, etc...

Help please?

Thoughts?

Back