Mackie 24*8 meter bridge accuracy

darwin

How accurate are the meters on the Mackie 24*8? I am talking specifically about the ones in the optional meter bridge.

I mainly intend to use the board for monitoring while tracking. I may also use some of the preamps while tracking. During mixdown, I would use the board to mainly perform A/B analysis with my mixes and commercial reference mixes. Since the bulk of the mixdown will be in the digital realm, I would only really be listening to about 4-6 inputs at once.

How accurate do they need to be for what you're trying to do??

Tolerances are probably a lot wider than Dorrough meters - but Mackie meter bridges are cheap in comparison to the Dorrough meters!

I suspect they'll be more than adequate.

This is the first time I've ever heard anybody mention meter bridge accuracy. :) Since the needles wobble and the leds are discreet I guess a couple of db's to and fro won't make much difference when tracking.

I have an older CR1604, and it seems like the master meters maybe aren't quite calibrated right or something. I say this because when I play commercial stuff, there can be a difference of up to 2 db between left and right sides when I monitor the meters on the main output bus. To me, it doesn't seem like they should be that different. It's just a little irritating thing that I would like to see corrected in the next mixer that I buy which will be pretty soon.

If you play the commercial mix in mono do the meters read the same (they should).....

With a 2-track mix, it would be quite normal to have the meters peaking with 2-3 db differences.... it's called "STEREO".........! ;)

My Mackie 32x8 bus with the MB32 Meter Bridge reads the same when in mono with commercial CD's.

Blue Bear, I know that. I mainly notice it during really loud "non-dynamic" sections. There shouldn't be too much difference during these parts.

DJL, thanks. That is what I wanted to know.

On my own 24*8 meter bridge, I don't see any obvious differences... I did have to re-calibrate one of the VU meters on it, but other than, it's "accurate enough".......

darwin said:
Blue Bear, I know that. I mainly notice it during really loud "non-dynamic" sections. There shouldn't be too much difference during these parts.

DJL, thanks. That is what I wanted to know.

No problem. I agree with Blue Bear. It's "accurate enough".

How old is your mixer? There was an issue with some of the 1202s when they first came out where the master buss was slightly off balance.

Back