Mackie 1642VLZ or Soundcraft M12 with Delta 1010?

Cuzin B

All,

Here's the story...I just took delivery on a new Delta 1010 audio interface. I have also ordered a spanky new Soundcraft Spirit M12 mixer. However, my local distributor is having a few problems getting an M12 so while I wait, they were good enough to loan me a Mackie 1604 VLZ until my board arrives...

Now that I have the Delta and the loaner Mackie hooked up - the scary part is that I am really enjoying the Mackie! So much so that I am thinking about actually changing my order on the Soundcraft and switching to a Mackie 1642VLZ. (the 1642 seems to suit my setup a little better than the 1604)

I need some old fashioned advice from anyone out there who is familar with both the Delta 1010 and either of these boards (Soundcraft M12/Mackie 1642VLZ). The Soundcraft really appeals to me sound-wise, preamp-wise and feel-wise but the Mackie 1642 has subgroups/busses whereas the Soundcraft does not.

Are subgroups a real bonus or am I dreaming here. Both boards are about the same price and I just wanna make the right choice.

Also - if anyone out there has a Delta 1010 and one of these two models in their studio - could you be kind enough to share your connection layout from the board to the Delta and back again. I have what I think is a fairly solid connection with the 1604 now but I want to make sure it is as flexible as possible without repatching everything. For my work I am looking for no latency overdubbing and monitoring - I mix inside the software at all times so I won't be bringing all 8 line outs from the Delta back to the board.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Cuzin B

It's pretty much a toss up. Both will do the job competently. If you aren't mixing on the board I don't really see why busses are a big deal but I don't know exactly what you are doing. If you like the Mackie and it's easier to get then go for it.

TexRoadkill said:
It's pretty much a toss up. Both will do the job competently. If you aren't mixing on the board I don't really see why busses are a big deal but I don't know exactly what you are doing. If you like the Mackie and it's easier to get then go for it.

Tex,

My biggest worry is to make sure that I can overdub into the 1010 via the Soundcraft without creating a feedback loops or latenacy. A couple of collegues have said the Soundcraft has a Direct Pre button that takes the signal to the direct outs before it hits the fader so that would be awesome...but not having access to the board yet makes it a bit difficult.

Right now with the Mackie 1604 loaner - I have the 8 direct outs going to the 8 1010 inputs. I have 1010 outputs 1 and 2 coming back the 1604 on tracks 9+10 assigned to the Sub 1 group. If I plug an instrument into track 1 and do not assign it to any group at all...I am able to overdub with no latency with no problem. The Mackie lets me mix the Sub 1 and 2 group into the Main Mix with no problems

Since the Soundcraft has no groups or busses assignments...I hope this Direct Pre does the same thing as group assignment on the Mackie...

Anyone know exactly how this works?

Cheers,

Cuzin B

I don't know about your routing questions, but as far as quality I hear the soundcraft pres are a little better than the mackie's, and the EQ whomps the shit out of the mackie's.

Take that for what it's worth. Since you're just using the board to route it might not make a difference.

I've got a soundcraft m12, and I love it.

Chris Fallen said:
I don't know about your routing questions, but as far as quality I hear the soundcraft pres are a little better than the mackie's, and the EQ whomps the shit out of the mackie's.

Take that for what it's worth. Since you're just using the board to route it might not make a difference.

I've got a soundcraft m12, and I love it.

Chris,

If you have an M12 - how does the Direct Pre work? Is it what I think it is...plug in an instrument...hit this button and it sends the signal to the direct out/soundcard while bypassing the input fader so I don't get latency/feedback from my audio interface that will be patched into channels 11/12 on the Soundcraft?

That's all I need to know and if it works without a hitch - Soundcraft it is!

Update when you can,

Cuzin B

Cuzin B said:
Chris,

If you have an M12 - how does the Direct Pre work? Is it what I think it is...plug in an instrument...hit this button and it sends the signal to the direct out/soundcard while bypassing the input fader so I don't get latency/feedback from my audio interface that will be patched into channels 11/12 on the Soundcraft?

That's all I need to know and if it works without a hitch - Soundcraft it is!

Update when you can,

Cuzin B
Okay, I don't have a great understanding of this, so I might not know what I'm talking about at any point in this message.

I think the direct pre works where the signal after going to the preamp just gets routed out the direct out. It also goes to the board, but the direct out is pre eq and pre fader. You can still monitor through the board and such with the same signal.

Now how I would use it in this situation is use the Delta 1010 for 0 latency monitoring through the monitor mixer. That's the easy way to do it. Last time I used it I did my monitors out 1+2 of the Delta, and used the board to route for headphone mixes by returning signals out the Delta 1010 into the board and mixing it with the new stuff I was recording.

At least that what I THINK I did. Haha.

Back